Is yum not allowed on RHEV servers?

Latest response

OK, I learned that I must use rhevm-upgrade to upgrade rhevm (thanks, Anitha) and that works fine.  But can I no longer use yum to update other packages on the system?  It looks like the metadata for the rhevm 3.0 beta channel includes versions of packages that are not available.

For instance, if I try to update yum itself with "yum update yum", yum tells me that it will update my existing 3.2.29-17 to 3.2.29-22.  It appears to be downloading the new rpm twice and then fails with:

Error Downloading Packages:
  yum-3.2.29-22.el6.noarch: failed to retrieve getPackage/yum-3.2.29-22.el6.noarch.rpm from rhel-x86_64-rhev-mgmt-agent-6-beta
error was [Errno -1] Package does not match intended download. Suggestion: run yum --enablerepo=rhel-x86_64-rhev-mgmt-agent-6-beta clean metadata

I'm also having this problem on my RHEL61 host machines that are being managed by RHEVM since they are subscribed to the rhevm 3.0 beta channel.

Responses

The upgrade path is outlined here

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.0/html-single/Installation_Guide/index.html#chap-Installation_Guide-Installing_the_RHEV_Manager-Upgrades

We use the rhevm-upgrader utility to wrap a number of operations including backup and rollback.

Regarding the yum error.

There was an error with RHN involving beta content. Can you try running "yum clean all" and then repeat?

I did try a "yum clean all" but I still have the problem.  Was this fixed recently (today or yesterday?).  It's possible that our Satellite server hasn't synced with the Red Hat servers yet.

Any chance you can try directly from RHN, just to test?

The metadata for thebeta channels had to be regenerated and we refreshed the caches.

It might require a satelite resync, but I'm curious to see what happens if you try directly.

I'm not sure if I can access RHN directly.  I've already got up2date configured to go through an ssh tunneled proxy to get to our Sat Server and I needed privileges added to get to the beta channels.  If you can tell me what the serverURL is for RHN direct I could give it a try but I barely know what I'm doing when it comes to up2date!

The problem is with our internal Satellite server.  I'm now connected directly to RHN and everything is updating just fine.  Thanks!

Thanks for the update.