F/O Bonded NICs and manual load assignment

Latest response

Probably a silly question, but...

I have a server with two, 10Gbps NICs. I want to configure them into a switch-spanning failover-pair (our networking folks don't enable switch-spanning LACP for host access switches). I know that, normally, when set up in a failover-pair, only one NIC in the pair is active for traffic. However, this server is connected to two tagged-VLANs. In an ideal world, NIC would be active for one tagged-VLAN and the other NIC would be active for the other tagged-VLAN. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but, is there any way to have one interface active for one VLAN and the other interface active for the other VLAN?

I know that, in the mists of the past, when I was first starting to use the bonding driver, if one (mis)configured bonds on top of VLAN-tagged physical NICs (rather than the bare NICs), the drivers would allow you to set up more than one bond per group of NICs (e.g., bond0 composed of eth0.33 and eth1.33 and bond1 composed of eth0.34 and eth1.34). Seemed strange at the time that it allowed me to do it, and it did allow me to carry traffic, but... At any rate, I never bothered to test whether this worked the way one might expect/hope or checked to see if such (mis)configuration was even a "supported" configuration.

Responses