Software Sources Listing

Latest response

While exploring my new RHEL6 Server install (I am trying to learn it in preparation for taking the RH certifications at some point) I was looking through the Software Sources list in the Add/Remove software GUI. I noticed that I do not have check marks next to "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1" but have checkmarks for RHN tools and RHEL Server (v. 6) I am just curious what the 6.1 line is for? I've tried checking it, but it doesn't stick. I presume this is because in my entitlements list the channel for my system is listed as the RHEL Server (v. 6).

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Also, are there other channels/sources that the Desktop/Workstation varients get access to? I am wondering what differences a Desktop installation would have, other than not gaining access to server-related packages. Red Hat's comparison chart is rather lacking of any information at all.

Responses

You can manage your subscriptions via your rhn account. Under system, "Software" tab, and "Software Channels" sub tab. Red Hat provides core and 2 additional software channels with Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Supplementary: provides selected close source packages

Optional: selected open source packages

Fedora project provides EPEL (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux). EPEL is community effort.

You can manually setup other software channels in /etc/yum.repos.d see: http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html-single/Deployment_Guide/index.html#sec-Configuring_Yum_and_Yum_Repositories

Hope this helps.

From the following link:  http://www.redhat.com/rhel/desktop/#variants

(It's also important to note that Desktop is limited to 1 CPU socket and 8GB of memory, Workstation is limited to 2 CPU sockets and has no memory restrictions)

Desktop

Designed for task workers. Typically requires a limited set of applications. End user has limited administrative control over the system. System administrators need to be able to pre-configure and remotely manage consistent images across a large number of systems.

Primary applications in use are productivity applications like Firefox, Evolution/Thunderbird, OpenOffice, Planner/TaskJuggler. Primary services in use would be network file systems like SMB/CIFS, NFS, printing services, IM.

Workstation

Workstations are designed for advanced Linux users. In addition to the tools provided in the Desktop variant, the Workstation variant supports a stand-alone development environment. End users are expected to have local super-user privileges or select super-user privileges.