How to define a second network in the hypervisor !!

Latest response

Hi,

I have two PowerEdge T300 servers running as hypervisors servers for my RHEVM infraestructure. These servers has 2 lanics. In one of them has the segment 146.219.216.x (eth0) and this is named rhevm (network name) for the RHEVM console. Trough this lanic offers the conectivity for my all virtual machines. 

The problem is when i want to use the second lanic (eth1) for configure a private network between 3 hosts (2 pcs and 1 virtual machine) with the segment 10.10.0.0, if run the ovirt-config-setup script, the option 3) configure network, aborts because says that the only way to configure extra networks is trough the rhevm console.

When i go to the rhevm console and select the hypervisor (hosts section), appears that has two physical lanics into the "Network interfaces" section, but the eth1 always appears with the link down. And the wizard for configure another network says that i have to install an extra lanics in the hypervisor server. What is that ??.

Exist some restrictions for use the free lanic (eth1) in the hypervisors ??.

Thank's in advance !!

Responses

The ovirt config script is just for setting the management network for the initial conctivity to take place.

I'm pasting the instruction from the quick start guide, please explain which step have failed for you and the exact message, and I'll try to assist.

In Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager, network definition, type and function are encapsulated in a logical entity called a Logical Network.

A logical network is assigned as a required resource of a cluster in a data center, and by extension all hosts in a cluster must have the same set of logical networks implemented. The implementation itself may vary from host to host (IP and bonding properties). Therefore, to configure a network, you need to first define the network and then apply this network to each host. By default the management network (rhevm) is defined for a data center.
To define logical networks in a cluster
  1. Navigate to the Tree pane and click the Expand All button. Under System, click Default. On the results list, the Default data center displays.
  2. On the details pane, select the Logical Networks subtab. This displays the existing logical networks. At this stage only the default rhevm network is listed.
  3. Click New. The New Logical Network dialog displays.
    New Logical Network

Fill in the Name and Description fields, and tick the Assign Networks to Cluster(s) - Default checkbox to automatically add the Storage network to the Default data center.

4. Click OK to create the new logical network.
Now that you have defined this network as a resource required by the default cluster in the data center, it is time to add this resource to the hosts in the cluster.
  1. Back on the Tree pane, click DefaultClustersDefaultHosts. The Hosts tab displays a list of available hosts.
  2. For each of your installed hosts, perform the following tasks:
    1. Click on the host. On the details pane, select the Network Interfaces tab.
    2. A list of network interfaces available for this host displays. One of them will already have the management network (rhevm) configured.
      Available network interfaces
    3. Select the interface on which to configure the Storage network and click the Edit/ Add VLAN button. The Edit Network Interface dialog displays.
      Edit network interface
      Figure 12. Edit network interface

Configure the following options:

• Under Network, select your newly created storage network.
      • Select the Static radio button. Enter the IP and Subnet Mask you have prepared as part of the prerequisites to this lab.
      • Tick the Save network configuration checkbox.
    4. Click OK.

Hi Simon, i followed your procedure but the Clusters tab has the "Non Operational" status for the new Logical Network (rhevm1), that i had created before.

The strange is when i check the hba port available on each of the hypervisor servers, the Speed for the port appears like "unknown":

1) hypervisor 1

ethtool eth0 ---> GOOD !!

Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
        Link detected: yes

ethtool eth1 ----> NEW NETWORK !!

Settings for eth1:
        Speed: Unknown! ----. WHY !!!
        Duplex: Half

2) hypervisor 2

ethtool eth0 ---> GOOD !!

ettings for eth0:
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full

ethtool eth1 ----> NEW NETWORK !!

ettings for eth1:
        Speed: Unknown! ----> WHY !!
        Duplex: Half

for that reason i don't know if exist some restriction or consideration for the managing of the network cards into the hypervisors servers. In fact the new network cables work fine if use them over other servers.

Regards !!

Speed: Unknown! ----> WHY !!
        Duplex: Half    <---- That is not good.

Need to look at the logs, can you open a case with support and refer them to this conversation?

Please use the log-collector and attach it's output to the ticket, that will shorten the response time

The second network interface is running now. How can i attach to the virtual machines ??.

Regards !!

If this is the case then:

If the virtuale machine already exists - you can power it off and on the details pan ( bottom of the screen) go the the networks tab. From there you can add and delete virtual nics. While adding you'll be able to choose to which network to connect the virtual nic.

If you are creating new machine the you can do the same in the wizard that appears after you define the initial virtual machine properties. IE the configure networking option. The dialog should now allow you to select which network to use. The rhevm or the new one.

That's right !!. Thank's in advance !!