'packages' web ecosystem like debian

Latest response

Debian has a cool website (although, its really an eco-system) for its packages. You can see the version in different releases, the dependancies, the provides, the changelogs etc. You can click through and see the bugs lists, the feature requests etc. The softwares website is there, links to the source packages etc.

In short its super cool and super handy.

This is a cool system. Its must less of a dumping ground than bugzilla.

It would be great to have this with redhat. Even if its just private to customers.

Responses

This sounds like more of a feature for the Customer Portal, than a feature for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 itself - is there something I'm missing?

This sounds like more of a feature for the Customer Portal, than a feature for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 itself - is there something I'm missing?

Could be. Ill leave it with you guys to recategorize as needed.

See also http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

I believe that the source is GPL as well... :)

Dean,

Can you compare what you're looking for with the existing package search/browser in the Customer Portal:

https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/channels/software/Search.do

Many of the activities you mentioned are available there in addition to the ability to browse/view the actual source. Are there certain features in particular that you find valuable from Ubuntu not available through the Portal?

-Mike

ok thats along the lines of what i was thinking. however there is still a big gap there compared to debians package pages :)

also i do think you guys are strangely averse to scrolling. the obsession with paging all the time is just downright annoying. there is a scrolly wheel on all mice - it wants to be used!

Is that what that's for? ;)

I don't disagree that the current screens should use some refactoring, especially with all the UX-AJAX-jQuery goodness that have evolved over the past few years.

Regarding the gap, it seems there are several features shared and several features that each site provides exclusively. Perhaps you could share which features -- top 5, top 10? -- that are important to you.

-Mike