Commands similar to ioscan, makesysb

Latest response

Having worked on other UNIX platform for many years, I would like to see the following features in the new release. I know some of these are already posted by other users in this group, but posting again to show that these are badly needed by many users. 

1) A tool similar to makesysb (AIX), make_recovery (HP-UX), to atleast create and restore a system image to the same hardware or to other similar hardware architecture.

2) A simple command to rescan and add new LUNs (eg: ioscan in HPUX), without having to reboot. I am aware of   echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host?/scan  in linux, but this often caused I/O interruption concern about running on a live production system. In some cases, had to reboot the server for the new disk devices to show up.

Responses

With respect to the first point, you might be interested in the discussion at https://access.redhat.com/discussion/server-recovery-method

Hi Benoy,
You should be able to use the following to add a single device without causing I/O interruption. I've personally used this on FC-attached NetApps and have also used it for adding VMware Virtual Disks to a running host without incident:

echo "scsi add-single-device A B C D" > /proc/scsi/scsi
where:
A = hba
B = channel
C = target
D = LUN

The disk should then be immediately available for use and displayed when you "cat /proc/scsi/scsi".

Here is an old document that discusses additional /proc/scsi capabilities in detail--but is still mostly useful. :)
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-2.4-HOWTO/mlproc.html

Edit: the forum software may be processing the bracketed text inside of the example, please see the link for more info.

I still prefer human friendly tools like/similar to cfgmgr(AIX), cfgadm(Solaris), hwmgr(Tru64) and ioscan(HP-UX).

/proc and /sys are full of useful stuff, but they're not interfaces meant for humans and something like smit/cfgmgr to standardize things would be welcome (not like ODM, thats horrible).

Imho the current situation is a little confusing where some things are done via files (e.g. sysctl.conf) others via direct actions (like everyone's favorite echo "- - - -"), etc. For example trying to figure out what physical connector maps to which eth card, what the WWNs and other info of which disk are, is often painful.