puppet installed by default

Latest response

I would like to see puppet installed by default as well as a admin tool that manages puppet clients.

Responses

puppet is too half baked.

its just a shame that there isnt much else out there pushing it to be better.

I'm assuming that you're using puppet currently. How do you use it?

Have you looked at Chef from Opscode. It provides some interesting competition to Puppet.

And if Puppet isn't good enough contribute to the project to make it better.

puppet is far from half baked, there isnt much i've found that you can not do with it

we basically have a one click system setup now using cobbler/puppet combo

we profiles to deploy oracle servers, sybase, mq ... etc ..all dependancies and all system settings automatically determined and deployed by puppet. 

We already have good software deployment tools, which we use for other platforms, so as long as puppet is not part of @Base, then OK.

We already have good software deployment tools, which we use for other platforms, so as long as puppet is not part of @Base, then OK.

Agreed, I'm fine with it being a part of an extra repo but I'd rather not unintentionally install it as we do not use it. If it is provided in RHEL7 and we decide to begin using it, we can simply install it from the extra repo. No defaulting.

I agree, make it available to install as an optional package included in the DVD install media, but do not make it installed by default.

We're also moving to puppet as configuration tool. It gets my vote but doesn't have to be part of @base or @core. But please, not in a seperate repo.

If my memory serves me right the new Sattelite Server, Systemengine has Puppet embedded. Therefore chances ar high that puppet will be in one of the repos.

Puppet is currently available for production use in the EPEL repo. My employer currently uses EL + Puppet and we would love to see it integrated in future RHEL releases.

EPEL & Fedora are currently providing really quite old versions of Puppet on the premise that upgrading would make it difficult for people who already have it deployed.

I come from the other side of the fence and think that if they don't want to upgrade then they can always create an exception for puppet in yum.

2.6.9 is out at the moment, as is 2.7.something.  It would be more beneficial to users to be able to use the latest stable version of Puppet.

Would definitely like to see it in the official channels this time round - not just as a by-product of deploying SystemEngine.

If Puppet goes into RHEL's official repositories, it will become stale even faster than it does in EPEL.

For an example, look at what is happening with libvpx in RHEL 6. The RPMFusion project wants to update FFMPEG in their EL-6 branch to the latest version. Unfortunately RHEL 6 ships with a libvpx that is too old, and there's no guarantee that Red Hat will update this. Even EPEL 5 has been shipping a much newer version than RHEL 6. (https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/1250)

For another example, look at PHP in RHEL 5. It will remain at version 5.1 for the entire lifetime of the product. There is finally a php53 package available, but that came fairly late, and it was not guaranteed to come at all.

At least with EPEL, the puppet maintainer is active in IRC and interested in making updates happen. If you want to see Puppet in Fedora and EPEL get updated sooner, it would be a good idea to get involved in the Fedora and EPEL community. The more packagers and testers we have, the faster (and safer) things move.

I was pushing for a while to get even the EPEL version of puppet upgraded.

It sat for FAR too long at an older version.  The reasoning was that many people were using EPEL for currently installed puppet estates and to upgrade it would risk breaking them.

The immediate response is, of course, that users wanting to keep at a certain level of package can fix this in their usage of yum.  Alternatively, don't link direct to EPEL - download the packages you want and build your own repo.  Much safer that way.

Anyway - EPEL has now been upgraded to 2.6.6 which is a big improvement.

As for it becoming stale in RHEL?  Puppet upgrades still have the ability to break things.  Running a stable version of the package is much preferred to trying to keep up with the latest & greatest and ending up breaking stuff.  Whilst I want to be within sight of the bleeding edge, I don't want anything to be breaking in my estate thanks.

Puppet is a good tool for distributed management. I'm going to echo the sentament of most of the rest of the list:

1. Please put it in the main repo (that way it is easy to greb your configs from the start)

2. Please do not install it by default (I don't mind checking an additional box to grab it)

2. Please update to the latest release.

We use Chef extensively. If there is a case to be made for puppet to be included in RHEL7, ( either by default or in an additional repository ) then the same logic would hold true for including chef.

-alan

Anyone using tools other than puppet or chef for configuration management?

Would it be interesting to manage configurations programmatically via api instead of static configuration files, profiles, and secondary actions?

But that's being replaced with SystemEngine/Katello, which uses Puppet for it's config management.

Satellite's config management has always been nearly useable, but not quite.  Too many things that it just couldn't do.  Hence the adoption of Puppet for the Katello project.

I currently use puppet for quite a few systems.  I would like to see it available even if it was installed by default.  Either way, it makes certain customers happy seeing packages come down from Redhat directly and not through EPEL, etc.  Quite a few customers use this extensively in there deployment and configuration management systems.  As a side note; puppet can do some very useful and interesting things.  I am by no means a puppet guru, but I have and continue to see new things being accomplished with puppet.  Also, may be worth a look "http://usgcb.nist.gov/usgcb/rhel_content.html".

This would be a great solution is Redhat bought Puppet, OR if it included a free version of Puppet Enterprise (part of the RHEL license).  The plain puppet install is rather cumbersome and not intuitive.  Puppet Enterprise v2.0, is much much better (but it still is missing many pieces of functionality that make it invaluable).

Agree. Having puppet enterprise part of RHEL would be ideal.

Agreed. Please make it part of RHEL.