Installing MYSQL ODBC Driver on RedHAt

Latest response

...we have not had any luck with installing MySQL ODBC driver.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Any ideas? we have tried soft linking to  libodbc.so.2, still no luck.

yum list mysql-connector-odbc

Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin, subscription-manager

Updating Red Hat repositories.

Available Packages

mysql-connector-odbc.x86_64                                                                                                                               5.1.5r1144-7.el6                                                                                                                               rhel-x86_64-server-6

[root@st-microstrat ~]# ls

anaconda-ks.cfg  install.log  install.log.syslog  mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386.rpm

[root@st-microstrat ~]# yum install mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386.rpm

Setting up Install Process

Examining mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386.rpm: mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386

Marking mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386.rpm to be installed

Resolving Dependencies

--> Running transaction check

---> Package mysql-connector-odbc.i386 0:5.1.8-1.rhel5 will be installed

--> Processing Dependency: libodbc.so.1 for package: mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386

--> Processing Dependency: libodbcinst.so.1 for package: mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386

--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Error: Package: mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386 (/mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386)

Requires: libodbcinst.so.1

Error: Package: mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386 (/mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386)

Requires: libodbc.so.1

You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

• • •

yum list mysql-connector-odbc

Available Packages

mysql-connector-odbc.x86_64                                                                                                                               5.1.5r1144-7.el6                                                                                                                               rhel-x86_64-server-6

[root@st-microstrat ~]# ls

anaconda-ks.cfg  install.log  install.log.syslog  mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386.rpm

[root@st-microstrat ~]# yum install mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386.rpm

Setting up Install Process

Examining mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386.rpm: mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386

Marking mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386.rpm to be installed

Resolving Dependencies

--> Running transaction check

---> Package mysql-connector-odbc.i386 0:5.1.8-1.rhel5 will be installed

--> Processing Dependency: libodbc.so.1 for package: mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386

--> Processing Dependency: libodbcinst.so.1 for package: mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386

--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Requires: libodbcinst.so.1

Requires: libodbc.so.1

You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

• • •

Responses

Hi,

It looks like you are trying to install a local copy of mysql-connector-odbc that you downloaded, and it doesn't appear to match the one in our RHEL repositories.  Is there a reason you need that one instead of ours?

If you are fine using the supported Red Hat version, you can just do:

# yum install mysql-connector-odbc

This should pull in the necessary dependencies.  The dependency that the version you specified is missing is unixODBC. 

If you must use your downloaded copy, then you can try:

# yum localinstall mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386.rpm

and that should pull in the depedencies.  If it doesn't, then try this first:

# yum install unixODBC

# yum localinstall mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.8-1.rhel5.i386.rpm

Let us know if that doesn't work.

Regards,

John Ruemker, RHCA

Red Hat Technical Account Manager

Online User Groups Moderator

After re-reading your post, it occurred to me that you're trying to install the 32-bit version on an x86_64 system.  Is that intentional?

If so, thats the reason its not finding the dependencies.  You've downloaded the 32-bit copy of the package you need (again, that doesn't seem to be from Red Hat however; see below for more details) however you don't have the 32-bit versions of the dependencies.  So when you attempt to install the local package using yum, its then checking your repositories (in this case, Red Hat Network) for what it needs, and not finding them because you are registered to an x86_64-based channel.

If you must use the 32-bit version, then you'll need to download the dependencies as well.  You'll probably want to get all of the following:

• libtool-ltdl.i386
  • mysql.i386
  • perl-DBI.i386
  • unixODBC.i386

(You may need other dependencies.  These are just the ones that were not already installed on my test system when I tried it).

You can access the 32-bit versions of these packages by doing the following:

1) In the Red Hat Customer Portal (access.redhat.com, where you are now) hover over the Download tab in the black bar at the top.  Click Channels

2) In the dropdown boxes, choose Red Hat Enterprise Linux, 5, IA-32, and hit filter.  Click the "IA-32" link next to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5

3) Click the blue Packages tab

4) In the Filter by Package box, enter the package name (you'll need to do this for each of those listed above). 

5) On the results page, click the link to the version of the package you want (the latest is recommended). 

6) At the bottom of the page, there is a "Download Package" link.  Click it and save the file.

Once you've downloaded all the packages, you can do:

# cd /path/to/downloads/

# yum localinstall <package1>.i386.rpm <package2>.i386.rpm <package3>.i386.rpm ....

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

John Ruemker, RHCA

Red Hat Technical Account Manager

Yes, we are trying to install the 32-bit odbc driver.  Third party reporting tool requirement.

We have been going pretty crazy over the last few  days, but your detailed instructions are very helpful and I  will let you know what happens.

Clint

I will try the other packages, but I started with unixODBC.

Is the followingto be expected? (the copy-paste seems to have applied multiple times)

[root@st-microstrat tmp]# yum localinstall unixODBC-2.2.11-7.1.i386.rpm
Setting up Local Package Process
Examining unixODBC-2.2.11-7.1.i386.rpm: unixODBC-2.2.11-7.1.i386
unixODBC-2.2.11-7.1.i386.rpm: does not update installed package.
Nothing to do

[root@st-microstrat tmp]# yum localinstall unixODBC-2.2.11-7.1.i386.rpm
Nothing to do[root@st-microstrat tmp]# yum localinstall unixODBC-2.2.11-7.1.i386.rpm
Nothing to do

It looks like unixODBC is already installed.  Try the following to see if it is, and what arch:

# yum info installed unixODBC

Or alternatively:

# rpm -q --queryformat="%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n" unixODBC

If the installed version is x86_64, go ahead and remove it:

# yum remove unixODBC.x86_64

Now try installing the i386 one you downloaded.

If the one you have is .i386, then don't bother installing the downloaded one.  You already have it.

Regards,

John Ruemker, RHCA

Red Hat Techincal Account Manager