Yum update

Latest response

Hello! I have a big problem with update....

This is the answer from the server when i write this command (of course as root!):

yum repolist all
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/6Workstation/en/os/SRPMS/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 9 - "Server denied you to change to the given directory"
Trying other mirror.
repo id          repo name                                         status
rhel-source      Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Workstation - i386 - So enabled: 2639
rhel-source-beta Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Workstation Beta - i386 enabled:    0
virtualbox       RHEL/CentOS-6Workstation / i386 - VirtualBox      enabled:    0

And when i do yum update..

yum update
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/6Workstation/en/os/SRPMS/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 9 - "Server denied you to change to the given directory"
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: rhel-source-beta. Please verify its path and try again

I think my repolist on /etc/yum.repos.d/ is corrupt or/and perhaps are wrong the keys on /etc/pki/rpm-gpg...

Someone can help me?

Thank you!!

Responses

Hi

Try yum after disabling the source repos.

# vim /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel-source.repo

Change all "enbaled=1" to "enabled=0"

# yum clean all

# yum repolist all

Thanks.

Dear all,

I get timeouts when connecting to the xmlrpc.redhat.com/XMLRPC

telnet xmlrpc.redhat.com 443 fails

telnet xmlrpc.redhat.com 80 works

So I wonder if something is work at the Red Hat sites.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hello,

The hostname you specified is not correct.  The correct one is xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com.

Just in case that was a typo in your post, we've checked to see if there were any outages or other connectivity problems with RHN recently, and none have been reported or detected.  We've also been unable to reproduce any sort of issues when telnet'ing to these ports on the correct hostname from external sites.

Let us know if using that hostname doesn't resolve your issue.  If that's the case, provide us with the error you are seeing.

Thanks,

John Ruemker, RHCA

Red Hat Technical Account Manager

Online User Groups Moderator

Hello, thanl you for yuor answer but i have already try it.

Now this is the my situation:

yum repolist all
virtualbox                                               |  951 B     00:00    
virtualbox/primary                                       | 3.1 kB     00:00    
virtualbox                                                                  8/8
repo id          repo name                                            status
rhel-source      Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Workstation - i386 - Sourc disabled
rhel-source-beta Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Workstation Beta - i386 -  disabled
virtualbox       RHEL/CentOS-6Workstation / i386 - VirtualBox         enabled: 8
repolist: 8
 Now i haven't error. of course, because the rhel repo are disabled.  But, of course, no download update... I can update only irtualbox not my Rhel 6...

Any suggestion?

Thank you!!

>> of course, because the rhel repo are disabled.  But, of course, no download update.

If you are planning to update RHEL, then you need to register the system with RHN. The outputs do not show RHEL base channel repository active. Note that source Repo only provides source files of the packages coming with RHEL. It cannot provide system updates.

Regarding the source repo error, are you able to access those repositories mentioned in  rhel-source.repo file?

Thanks,

Anil

I have already re-enabled packages and my rhel6 is correct active on rhn.

The problem is beta package.

I report coomand yum repolist all:

yum repolist all
Trying other mirror.
repo id           repo name                                                    status
rhel-source       Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Workstation - i386 - Source        enabled: 2645
rhel-source-beta  Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Workstation Beta - i386 - Source   enabled:    0
virtualbox        RHEL/CentOS-6Workstation / i386 - VirtualBox                 enabled:    0
repolist: 2645

and the response when i do yum update:

yum update
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: rhel-source-beta. Please verify its path and try again

Packages beta 0. itry disabled beta packages only but nothnig to do!

Thank you for your time...

John,

I am sorry, it was a typo.

this is the serverURL=https://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC from /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date

LANG=C;yum -y update
Loaded plugins: aliases, auto-update-debuginfo, changelog, downloadonly, fastestmirror, filter-data, fs-snapshot, kabi, keys, list-data, local, merge-conf, post-transaction-actions, presto, priorities, product-id, protectbase, ps,
              : refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves, rhnplugin, rpm-warm-cache, security, show-leaves, subscription-manager, tmprepo, tsflags, upgrade-helper, verify, versionlock
Updating Red Hat repositories.
Loading support for Red Hat kernel ABI
There was an error communicating with RHN.
RHN Satellite or RHN Classic support will be disabled.
Error communicating with server. The message was:
Connection timed out
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Skipping filters plugin, no data
0 packages excluded due to repository protections
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

Connected to xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]

telnet> quit
Connection closed.

time telnet xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com 443
Trying 209.132.183.44...
telnet: connect to address 209.132.183.44: Connection timed out

real    0m21.005s
user    0m0.000s
sys    0m0.005s

source  host: www.kootstra.org.uk

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Are you behind a web proxy or a firewall that could be interfering with your connection? 

Regards,

John Ruemker, RHCA

Red Hat Technical Account Manager

Online User Groups Moderator

John,

This has work in the past.

Whether iptables is active or off does not matter.

I do not have a proxy, and have direct access to my providers network.

I had to re-register using the noSSL serverUrl, now it works.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

It looks like you are using a beta repo. (Hopefully not one that has recently gone to production, like 6.1.) Which version of RHEL beta are you running?

Hello Phil Jensen, this is my version (from command cat /etc/redhat-release):

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.1 Beta (Santiago)

Any suggestion? I imagine the problem is the download of beta packages fron RHN.

This is my rhel-source.repo file:

[rhel-source]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Source
baseurl=ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/$releasever/en/os/SRPMS/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release

[rhel-source-beta]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux $releasever Beta - $basearch - Source
baseurl=ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/$releasever/en/os/SRPMS/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-beta,file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-beta

I can't find on RHN this file to download to do diff commmand beetween files..

If i disabled rhel-source-beta i havent error but nothing file on repository.. so no update!!!

If enabled...

yum repolist all
Trying other mirror.
repo id                                            repo name                                                                                    status
rhel-source                                        Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Workstation - i386 - Source                                        enabled: 2647
rhel-source-beta                                   Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Workstation Beta - i386 - Source                                   enabled:    0
virtualbox                                         RHEL/CentOS-6Workstation / i386 - VirtualBox                                                 enabled:    0
repolist: 2647

but error yum upodate...

yum update
Trying other mirror.

Thank you for your time...

i have also no  idea whats going on with rhel6.1 and package updates. i have also done the several steps described but can't downwnload any packages from RHN with yum like before.

I have no idea if this will be solved by redhat or if there wil be a usefulk description how to get yum runing for installing package from RHN again.

root@babbage yum.repos.d]# yum repolist all
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
epel/metalink                                                                                                                                               |  12 kB     00:00     
epel                                                                                                                                                        | 4.3 kB     00:00     
epel/primary_db                                                                                                                                             | 4.2 MB     00:00     
repo id                                                       repo name                                                                                            status
epel                                                          Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64                                                       enabled: 6,502+1
epel-debuginfo                                                Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - Debug                                               disabled
epel-source                                                   Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 - Source                                              disabled
rhel-source                                                   Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Server - x86_64 - Source                                                   disabled
rhel-source-beta                                              Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6Server Beta - x86_64 - Source                                              disabled

[root@babbage yum.repos.d]# yum install wireshark
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
No package wireshark available.
Error: Nothing to do

[root@babbage yum.repos.d]# cat rhel-source.repo
[rhel-source]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Source
baseurl=ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/$releasever/en/os/SRPMS/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release

[rhel-source-beta]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux $releasever Beta - $basearch - Source
baseurl=ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/$releasever/en/os/SRPMS/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-beta,file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release