RHEL Testing - RHEL 5.7.0 Retrospective

Latest response

Hi! This thread is for folks who are testing RHEL and have questions/comments/tips and so on. 

RHEL 5.7.0 Beta testing is coming to a close. 6.2 testing is right around the corner. 

How about some retrospective items to consider for 5.7.0? Any testing related issues you stumbled on that we learn from for future releases (bad or good)?

-Chris

Responses

Hi Chris

An issue was raised on the rhelv5-list about the rsync update breaking some scripts

Hi,
I just found a script using rsync+ssh broken after the 5.6 to 5.7 update, and easily tracked it down to the rsync package update. It looks like rsync was updated from 2.6.9-2.el5 to 3.0.6-4.el5. I'm all for an rsync update to get all of the cool new options that later versions have to offer, but in my case something broke badly. Specifying only a host to have rsync use ssh no longer works :

# No longer works
rsync -av remotehost:/foo/ /foo

# Still works
rsync -av root@remotehost:/foo/ /foo

It has already been reported : https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=724041

Just a heads up to the list, since this is sure to bite lots of people! Downgrading the rsync package fixes the issue.

Matthias