Identifying HD /dev/sdl on ESXI.

Latest response

hello dears,

I need to own the /dev/sdl disk with 1T. And I need the virtualization team to expand the disk size to 2Q. The problem is that in ESXI the naming changes to SCSI controller 1, 2, and others. Because of this, I cannot know on ESXI who is the /dev/sdl disk. Has anyone faced the same problem?

Responses

Hi Marcelo Miranda,

If we were in the same location, this may be a little easier. Now I'm not sure from your limited details above, there exists the possibility that maybe this is a disk that already exists and they've expanded the disk on the ESXI side and you want to take the next actions to expand it within the system itself?? I'm not clear from your limited description here.

Yes or no question follows - did you or did you not use LVM? You can examine the output of pvdisplay and also rounds of fdisk -l | grep Disk . When you say you need your virtualization team to expand the disk to 2Q, what is the "Q" in that? I deal with expanding disks quite a lot on both virtual and physical systems and have been doing this for years, but I've not seen "Q" in this context before.

Are you familiar with the overall principles of the after-actions of expanding a disk? I ask because I honestly do not know if you are or are not familiar and it will help me/us here to understand where you are at to attempt to help you.

What version of Red Hat are you using? Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6, 7, 8? Or are you perhaps expanding the underlying disk of a Red Hat Virtualization appliance? I doubt you are dealing with Red Hat Virtualization since you mentioned ESXI, but you did tag your post here with "Red Hat Virtualization" which is an alternative to VMware and is it's own virtualization product.

One thing you can do to determine what disks are connected to your system is run the lsblk command. The key to the lsblk command is to examine the disks shown at the left of the output and look for disks that appear to not be formatted, and also without a mount point. Then look for the approximate size of the disks. The disks are at the left of the output, mounted disks are shown on the right with a mount point. Those disks that do not have a mount point are the ones to investigate for your puzzle you're sorting out.

You can examine the currently formatted disks with the blkid command. The disks that are not formatted will not appear in the blkid command. Then compare this with the output from your lsblk command.

If you are not familiar with this procedure here, I'd recommend opening a case directly with Red Hat and include an "sosreport". I say this because when Red Hat examines the sosreport, they will have the information they need to assist very directly. If you are not familiar with this procedure, it may help mitigate the risk of misunderstanding principles here along with a potential miscommunication with not having done this often before. However, maybe you have done this, and just need assistance with identifying the not-formatted, not-mounted drive.

Kind Regards,
RJ

Hello,

In fact, 60 disks have already been inserted in the ESXI and it is not possible to insert any more (ESXI limit). As I am having disk space issues, an alternative was to ask the datacenter to expand one of the existing disks (/dev/sdl). The point is that the disk names are different in linux and ESXI. I need how to identify /dev/sdl in ESXI. On the server, it's a Red Hat 5.

Hi Marcelo Miranda,

Try the commands I suggested and see if you can or can not "see" the drives as I described in the previous post.
Regards,
RJ