Update trouble on rhv manager

Latest response

Dear,

I did a fresh installation of rhel8 and installed rhv manager following the docs for 4.4. All went well and I was able to complete the install. Before installing I fully updated as per the doc instructions.

Today I ran dnf update and I am running into trouble for which I could use some help.

# dnf update
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream (RPMs)                                                                        29 kB/s | 2.8 kB     00:00    
JBoss Enterprise Application Platform 7.3 (RHEL 8) (RPMs)                                                                       25 kB/s | 2.4 kB     00:00    
Red Hat Virtualization Manager 4.4 for RHEL 8 x86_64 (RPMs)                                                                     25 kB/s | 2.4 kB     00:00    
Fast Datapath for RHEL 8 x86_64 (RPMs)                                                                                          25 kB/s | 2.4 kB     00:00    
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS (RPMs)                                                                           25 kB/s | 2.4 kB     00:00    
Error: 
 Problem 1: package ovirt-cockpit-sso-0.1.4-1.el8ev.noarch requires cockpit-dashboard >= 138, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package cockpit-bridge-238.2-1.el8.x86_64 conflicts with cockpit-dashboard < 233 provided by cockpit-dashboard-224.2-1.el8.noarch
  - package cockpit-bridge-238.2-1.el8.x86_64 conflicts with cockpit-dashboard < 233 provided by cockpit-dashboard-211.3-1.el8.noarch
  - package cockpit-bridge-238.2-1.el8.x86_64 conflicts with cockpit-dashboard < 233 provided by cockpit-dashboard-197.3-1.el8.noarch
  - package cockpit-bridge-238.2-1.el8.x86_64 conflicts with cockpit-dashboard < 233 provided by cockpit-dashboard-184.1-1.el8.noarch
  - cannot install the best update candidate for package ovirt-cockpit-sso-0.1.4-1.el8ev.noarch
  - cannot install the best update candidate for package cockpit-bridge-224.2-1.el8.x86_64
 Problem 2: package ovirt-engine-4.4.5.11-0.1.el8ev.noarch requires ovirt-cockpit-sso, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package ovirt-cockpit-sso-0.1.4-1.el8ev.noarch requires cockpit-dashboard >= 138, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-224.2-1.el8.noarch
  - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-211.3-1.el8.noarch
  - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-197.3-1.el8.noarch
  - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-184.1-1.el8.noarch
  - cannot install the best update candidate for package ovirt-engine-4.4.5.11-0.1.el8ev.noarch
  - cannot install the best update candidate for package cockpit-dashboard-224.2-1.el8.noarch
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages or '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

Can someone please help me solve this?

Thank you!

Responses

I have the same problem.

Error: Problem 1: package ovirt-cockpit-sso-0.1.4-1.el8ev.noarch requires cockpit-dashboard >= 138, but none of the providers can be installed - package cockpit-bridge-238.2-1.el8.x86_64 conflicts with cockpit-dashboard < 233 provided by cockpit-dashboard-224.2-1.el8.noarch - package cockpit-bridge-238.2-1.el8.x86_64 conflicts with cockpit-dashboard < 233 provided by cockpit-dashboard-184.1-1.el8.noarch - package cockpit-bridge-238.2-1.el8.x86_64 conflicts with cockpit-dashboard < 233 provided by cockpit-dashboard-197.3-1.el8.noarch - package cockpit-bridge-238.2-1.el8.x86_64 conflicts with cockpit-dashboard < 233 provided by cockpit-dashboard-211.3-1.el8.noarch - cannot install the best update candidate for package ovirt-cockpit-sso-0.1.4-1.el8ev.noarch - cannot install the best update candidate for package cockpit-bridge-224.2-1.el8.x86_64 Problem 2: package ovirt-engine-4.4.5.11-0.1.el8ev.noarch requires ansible = 2.9.17, but none of the providers can be installed - cannot install both ansible-2.9.21-1.el8ae.noarch and ansible-2.9.17-1.el8ae.noarch - cannot install both ansible-2.9.17-1.el8ae.noarch and ansible-2.9.21-1.el8ae.noarch - cannot install the best update candidate for package ovirt-engine-4.4.5.11-0.1.el8ev.noarch - cannot install the best update candidate for package ansible-2.9.17-1.el8ae.noarch Problem 3: problem with installed package ovirt-cockpit-sso-0.1.4-1.el8ev.noarch - package ovirt-cockpit-sso-0.1.4-1.el8ev.noarch requires cockpit-dashboard >= 138, but none of the providers can be installed - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-224.2-1.el8.noarch - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-184.1-1.el8.noarch - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-197.3-1.el8.noarch - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-211.3-1.el8.noarch - cannot install the best update candidate for package cockpit-dashboard-224.2-1.el8.noarch Problem 4: package rhvm-branding-rhv-4.4.7-1.el8ev.noarch requires ovirt-engine, but none of the providers can be installed - package ovirt-engine-4.4.5.11-0.1.el8ev.noarch requires ovirt-cockpit-sso, but none of the providers can be installed - package ovirt-cockpit-sso-0.1.4-1.el8ev.noarch requires cockpit-dashboard >= 138, but none of the providers can be installed - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-224.2-1.el8.noarch - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-184.1-1.el8.noarch - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-197.3-1.el8.noarch - package cockpit-system-238.2-1.el8.noarch obsoletes cockpit-dashboard provided by cockpit-dashboard-211.3-1.el8.noarch - cannot install the best update candidate for package rhvm-branding-rhv-4.4.7-1.el8ev.noarch - cannot install the best update candidate for package cockpit-system-224.2-1.el8.noarch - package ovirt-engine-4.4.1.8-0.7.el8ev.noarch is filtered out by exclude filtering - package ovirt-engine-4.4.1.10-0.1.el8ev.noarch is filtered out by exclude filtering - package ovirt-engine-4.4.2.6-0.2.el8ev.noarch is filtered out by exclude filtering - package ovirt-engine-4.4.2.3-0.6.el8ev.noarch is filtered out by exclude filtering - package ovirt-engine-4.4.3.12-0.1.el8ev.noarch is filtered out by exclude filtering - package ovirt-engine-4.4.3.8-0.1.el8ev.noarch is filtered out by exclude filtering - package ovirt-engine-4.4.4.7-0.2.el8ev.noarch is filtered out by exclude filtering - package ovirt-engine-4.4.4.5-0.10.el8ev.noarch is filtered out by exclude filtering - package ovirt-engine-4.4.5.9-0.1.el8ev.noarch is filtered out by exclude filtering (try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages or '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

Hi ! :)

The package cockpit-dashboard is obsolete and doesn't receive updates any longer and if the package ovirt-cockpit-sso
depends on it, it can not be installed as long as the dependency is required. You can open a Bugzilla, and submit a feature
request. To avoid similar issues in the future, I'd recommend to remove the package cockpit-dashboard ... Sorry to be the
harbinger of this unfortunate news.

Regards,
Christian

Oke, thanks for the info.

Is there a way to work around this issue on a running system?

Unfortunately currently not, I'm afraid ... :)

wow oke haha :-D.

If I reinstall the host and pin it to 8.3 (it upgraded to 8.4 yesterday), can I avoid running into this then?

Or should I just wait until its fixed in the official packages?

Well, it's your decision ... me personally, I would (and always do) stick with the latest stable edition. :)

I went through the installation document again for 4.4 and found a section for updating the RHV manager in version 4.4 that I may overlook in the meantime.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.4/html/installing_red_hat_virtualization_as_a_self-hosted_engine_using_the_cockpit_web_interface/installing_the_red_hat_virtualization_manager_she_cockpit_deploy

Configure the repositories:

subscription-manager repos \
--disable='*' \
--enable=rhel-8-for-x86_64-baseos-rpms \
--enable=rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms \
--enable=rhv-4.4-manager-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms \
--enable=fast-datapath-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms \
--enable=jb-eap-7.3-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms

Enable the pki-deps module.

dnf module -y enable pki-deps

Enable version 12 of the postgresql module.

dnf module -y enable postgresql:12

Synchronize installed packages to update them to the latest available versions.

dnf distro-sync --nobest

I ran these commands and everything works fine in RHV-M update

Thanks. This worked. Keep on doing good work!

Hey Carlos, I followed those instructions as well, but I think I made 2 mistakes. I installed cockpit manually with some plugins and after the rhv manager installation, I let it update to 8.4 (I should have pinned the release to 8.3).

I am currently doing a reinstall pinned on 8.3 and will restore the engine-backup in a bit.

I reinstalled the rhv manager host with rhel 8.3, pinned the release and reinstalled the manager. Restored with engine-backup and all is good again!

The workaround before RHV 4.4.5 was to add the following to /etc/yum.conf:

best=False

This will allow the system to be updated even if some packages cannot be updated to the best candidate (latest available version).

Reference: https://access.redhat.com/solutions/5480561

I'm wondering how this still continues. years after years. why can't you properly write the needed repositories in the installation manual?

Same problem here. Followed the manual but have the same problems as always.

Have been installing around 100 instances various releases, since that 2.2 or something. Have been using Linux since 0.03 since Linus made personally a version for my disk configuration.

And please white one column more to "optional" packages which clearly states when that optional package is needed.

Grrrrr.

//arl

Hi Ari,

I'm really sorry that you're having problems with the installation guide, and I would really like to make sure that we get this right. Can you specify what problems you're encountering and how we can clarify the issue in the manual?

"And please white one column more to "optional" packages which clearly states when that optional package is needed."

Are you talking about this page: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.4/html-single/release_notes/index#Additional_Packages_from_Red_Hat_Network

Cockpit is officially deprecated, and support for it will be completely removed, most likely in release RHV 4.4.8

Hi Eli,

Your comment confuses me (a lot) - Cockpit aka Web Console deprecated and will be completely removed ?
Really ? Red Hat "pushes" users to move to Web Console for system management as a replacement for "old"
GUI applications, such like Virt-Manager for example. I see a Red Hat logo in your avatar, so I assume you are
a Red Hat employee. Please elaborate on what you've said, and give us a more comprehensive explanation. :)

Regards,
Christian

[updated and corrected] The Cockpit package for installing the Self-hosted engine (SHE) is deprecated. Aside from having having a number of vulnerability CVE's open against it, Red Hat simply does not have the bandwidth to provide support for problems with the Cockpit installer for SHE. The official deprecation notice will go out next week in the RHV 4.4.7 Release Notes, and the removal of support will follow in a future release.

For installing Red Hat Virtualization as a Self-Hosted Engine, the CLI method is fully supported.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.4/html-single/installing_red_hat_virtualization_as_a_self-hosted_engine_using_the_command_line/index

Just to clarify what we're talking about here as being deprecated: Using Cockpit to install the Self-host engine is deprecated. The Cockpit dashboard is not deprecated. Neither is using Cockpit to manage hosts.

Thanks for clarification, Eli and Steve ! Now I understand what and how it was meant. :)

Regards,
Christian