what "Package Group" is unzip in for RHEL 8

Latest response

I have a content view that has "exclude" filters in place. Mostly GUI apps and desktop apps.
But, a user NEEDS unzip. I have NO way of figuring out what Group unzip if part of...

Does anyone know what command would list the group it is part of?

Responses

Hello Laura Hanna,

I installed this package for testing purpose on my local VM and than ran this command to find out to which group this belongs to:

[root@rhel82 ~]# rpm -q unzip --qf "%{name}\t%{version}\t%{group}\t%{distribution}\n"
unzip   6.0     Applications/Archiving  Red Hat

That clearly says that this belongs to either "Applications" or "Archiving" package group. Tried to find out more details about these packages, but it was not available:

[root@rhel82 ~]# dnf groupinfo "Applications" "Archiving"
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Last metadata expiration check: 2:51:49 ago on Monday 03 May 2021 07:20:12 PM IST.
Warning: Group Applications does not exist.
Warning: Group Archiving does not exist.

That mean that the package groupname is not correct. I checked the /root/anakonda-ks.cfg file to figure out what groups were installed initially and that clearly says "minimal-environment". Then I tried to find out more details/packages under this:

[root@rhel82 ~]# dnf groupinfo "minimal-environment" --hidden
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Last metadata expiration check: 0:01:29 ago on Monday 03 May 2021 10:23:18 PM IST.
Environment Group: Minimal Install
 Description: Basic functionality.
 Mandatory Groups:
   Core
 Optional Groups:
   Guest Agents
   Standard

That says, further there are 3 more package groups available under this. Hence, tried a search and found that the package 'unzip' belongs to the Package Group "Standard":

[root@rhel82 ~]# dnf groupinfo "standard" |grep unzip
   unzip

If you run the same command without the grep option then it would list all Mandatory/Optional packages in the group.

There may be other ways to doing the same. In Satellite, may that you could create a new content view with include filter specific to this package and then publish/promote to required environment. Also, check the Satellite documentation for more details.

Hope this helps!

I also noticed a duplicate post of the same https://access.redhat.com/discussions/6016921. You may close the duplicate one.

Thanks for your response and for pointing this out, Sadashiva! I have removed the duplicate post so all responses can be added into this one discussion thread. Thanks again!

Thanks to you also Teresa for pitching in :)