Register system without storing the password locally

Latest response

I want to automate instance creation, part of which is registration with our local satellite 6.3 server. Instances are currently 7.6, though that's likely to change in the next few weeks. The IDM server is slaved off of AD.

Is there a way to register without storing the administrative password locally? That's against policy and probably a bad idea as well.

I've tried subscription-manager, bootstrap.py and hammer, and I can't seem to find a way to do so. Properly we'd be able to authenticate using keys, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Responses

Dan,

In our environment, during a kickstart we use activation keys to register a host, but it also requires installing the latest katello-ca-consumer-latest.noarch.rpm from the Satellite server.

The following lines are part of our kickstart file:

yum -t -y -e 0 install subscription-manager
  rpm -ivh http://<fqdn_of_SatelliteServer>/pub/katello-ca-consumer-latest.noarch.rpm

echo "Registering the System"
  subscription-manager register --org="<YOUR_ORG_GOES_HERE>" --name="<HOSTS/INSTANCE FQDN>" --activationkey="<activationKeyName>"
  subscription-manager release --set="7.6" ## this was required for the release version to be populated in the content view, otherwise the repos were giving 403 Errors.

Hope this helps, and isn't something you've already tried.

Thanks,

Chris C.

Activation Keys, as Chris mentioned, are the primary means to register systems if you aren't using username & password.

Also, Satellite 6.3 has long been end of life. See the Satellite Lifecycle. I would strongly suggest upgrading to a supported release of Satellite.