Partitioning scheme for a clean installation of RHEL 8.3

Latest response

Hello there. I will proceed to a clean installation of RHEL 8.3 on my laptop. I find the suggested disk partitioning rather complicated. Could anyone suggest me the simplest partition scheme which includes the fewest parttions possible? I have a 256 GB SSD and 8 GB of memory. Thanks in advance.

Responses

The trivially simple answer is that RHEL 8.3 may be installed onto a single partition. I've seen this done only on virtual machines which are not using UEFI, so on a laptop, this may require Legacy BIOS.

Here is a real-world example: The Virtual Private Server provider, Prgmr.com, uses a single partition for their default CentOS 8 images. See the kickstart file for details.

A more traditional scheme puts /boot, /, and /home on separate partitions, along with a swap partition.

Thanks for your answer. If I follow the suggested parttioning scheme, will I be able in the future to resize my partitions?

No, the kickstart I cited fills the block device with a single partition. It may be possible to shrink that single partition and then add one or more partitions, but that's a slightly different process than resizing.

Also, to clarify, my comments on the single partition scheme were intended to form more of an observation than a suggestion. Although I provided a real example of a VPS base image, it relied on the fact that UEFI was not in use. On a laptop, disabling UEFI leaves the system vulnerable to threats such as DROVORUB.

Thanks for your clarification and the time you spent answering my question.

Hi Nikos,

The most "simplest partition scheme which includes the fewest partitions possible" would be to create the partitions like this :

1st partition : /boot/efi | 2nd partition : /boot | 3rd partition : LVM - create a volume / (root) and then create a volume swap

I have created a slide-show that shows how to do it : How to install Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0 - Step-by-step presentation

If you want to resize or change something else in the future, you can do that easily by booting from a GParted live medium. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks, Christian. Once again, you are analytical and substantial.

You're welcome, Nikos ! Glad you appreciate the assistance. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Nikos,

You already got good advice from the esteemed colleagues in this forum.

It is important to emphasise that there is no best way to partition every system. Optimal setup depends on how you plan to use the system being installed.

Red Hat's partitioning reference:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/performing_a_standard_rhel_installation/partitioning-reference_installing-rhel

For good reasons that go beyond this discussion, in critical environments I implement the following partitioning (most certainly not needed for desktops/laptops):

/ 
/boot 
/boot/efi 
/var 
/var/tmp 
/var/log 
/var/log/audit 
/opt 
/home 
/usr 
/tmp

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

Thanks Dusan for spending time to offer me additional information.