Stand Alone Training und Customer demo Cloud env. 4 devel. & CI

Latest response

Motivation
1.) I work for the public sector and there it is difficult to use customer presentations with internet use for security reasons.

2.) I am an agile (Scrum) JEE application developer / architect and would like to familiarize myself with software application development in the cloud environment. I have a RedHat developer license. The aim is to learn the basic current technologies for the creation and the first CI steps and, if necessary, to bring them closer to the customer. A standalone laptop (i7 8core, 16 GByte MM, 1 TByte SSD) with RHEL should be used for this.

Action
First I want to develop a minimal Java application and then expand it step by step (several different persistent instances, technical µService, dialog and automatic processing...). I would also like to get to know other stand containers.

The following components should be part of the technology stack:
• RHEL
• OpenShift
• PodMan
• IDE

Questions

1. Is this possible in principle?
  2. If so, is there a Guide / CookBook to install the required components on the computer step by step?
    (Please indicate source!)
  3. Are there any instructions for implementing a 'Hello World!'?
  4. What further sources are there?
    (e.g. container catalogs etc.)

Responses

Hi Carsten,

What you are asking for is not exactly easy to answer, right because it very much depends on the individual developer/user.
I'll try my best to provide you with some basic answers on your questions, but still you have to do some research yourself. :)

Is it possible to build a machine with RHEL, OpenShift, Container Tools, and an IDE being installed side-by-side ? Yes, it is !
First you have to install RHEL, which I know you already have. So, install the container tools, development tools, and an IDE.

sudo dnf group install "Development Tools"
sudo dnf install java-11-openjdk-devel

sudo dnf module install container-tools
sudo dnf module install eclipse

OpenShift on a laptop, is this possible ? Yes it is ! Fortunately Red Hat provides such a solution, it's CodeReady Containers.
Are there further sources available ? Yes, there are ! You can find/search "tons" of material on the Red Hat Knowledgebase.

Check out the official documentation and the information being provided on the Red Hat Developer site - additionally you
want to read CRC Setup and CRC Project ... two articles I've written for users getting started with OpenShift 4 on a laptop.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Carsten,

Christian had great points and information, and your setup is certainly possible.

I often do development with crc (code ready containers) locally on my laptop which is a small instance of OpenShift.

IDE is your choice- I personally use Intellij but Eclipse, Visual Studio Code, etc are supported of course.

In terms of a "hello world" application guide for deploying to OpenShift, this Quarkus guide gives you a step-by-step tutorial: https://quarkus.io/guides/deploying-to-openshift . Even if you do not use the Quarkus framework, the concept is the same. Quarkus itself has many guides that are worthwhile looking at for a very developer-friendly, modern Java workflow .

I generally run my development by just re-building and deploying to OpenShift. I have Intellij setup to simply run the maven commands (given in the tutorial above) when I run the "build" command. It will rebuild the code, containers, deployment configs and deploy it to the cluster. I can then check the application and see the changes right away in my cluster.

Podman is very simple to use and similar to docker, if you have used it. For example, if i want to just run a Red Hat container:

``` $ podman run -it registry.access.redhat.com/ubi8/ubi /bin/bash [root@a77b27ac9078 /]# cat /etc/os-release NAME="Red Hat Enterprise Linux" VERSION="8.3 (Ootpa)" ID="rhel" ID_LIKE="fedora" VERSION_ID="8.3" PLATFORM_ID="platform:el8" PRETTY_NAME="Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.3 (Ootpa)" ANSI_COLOR="0;31" CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:8.3:GA" HOME_URL="https://www.redhat.com/" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugzilla.redhat.com/"

REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8" REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=8.3 REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Red Hat Enterprise Linux" REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="8.3" ```

Find more about Podman here: https://podman.io/getting-started

Hope this helps! Regards, Tim

add a new discussion