rpmbuild for JBoss EAP 5

Latest response

Has anyone used rpmbuild to create a JBoss EAP 5 rpm? I was able to hack a spec file from the web that successfully built the RPM, but I'm afraid it's incomplete. Are there any examples out there? Any good documentation specific to JBoss EAP 5? Is there a way to get a copy of what Red Hat would use for an rpmbuild of JBoss EAP?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Responses

Are you trying to create your own RPM of EAP 5? Can I ask why? You can download RPM's through a registered RHEL system. See [1]

[1] https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/375733

Good question. We get requests for older versions of JBoss EAP from vendors who aren't real keen on moving forward. It was my understanding that only the latest version of JBoss EAP are available through a satellite channel. The reason for an RPM instead of a zip file is for stability and easier patching. It would also be nice to clean up some .bat files and whatnot in the bin directory. I'm getting an Access Denied message from that site. Is there a way to view that article otherwise? Also, with the availble rpms, it appears there are like hundreds of them. Can they be all combined into one or have one file that requires all of them?

Thank you! -David

Please try loading the article again. It wasn't published correctly so you should be able to see it now.

We get requests for older versions of JBoss EAP from vendors who aren't real keen on moving forward

Then what is the point of using RPMs? :) The biggest advantage of RPM's is so you can upgrade easier. See the use cases for using ZIP vs RPM [1]. If they aren't keen on moving forward then ZIP is the best install method. Like you say, only the latest version of EAP is available through RHN.

The reason for an RPM instead of a zip file is for stability and easier patching

Stability in what sense? And easier patching again depends on the admin. Some admin's prefer ZIP installations so they can manually patch systems and test before going to production.

[1] https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/261993