RHEL 7.8 installation on HP Envy x360 laptop aborts on partition definition

Latest response

fdisk outputI'm trying to install RHEL 7 on HP Envy x360 laptop.
However, as soon as the 'Done' is clicked in the 'Partition Definition' stage, the installation is aborted with the attached messages.

Unknown error occured

Unknown error occured - debug

How to recreate:
* Complete the Windows 10 installation
* Create an installation USB containing RHEL 7.8 DVD ISO image
* Boot the HP Envy x360 laptop and press F10 to get to the boot menu
* Set the USB to be the first boot device
* Insert the RHEL 7.8 Installation USB into a USB port on the HP laptop
* Power off/on the laptop
* Choose English as language and click on 'Done'
* Choose 'Define Partitions' and click 'Done'
at this stage the installation bombs.

Note:
The exact same behaviour occurs when trying to install RHEL 7.6/7.7 and CentOS 7.6/7.8. fdisk output

Responses

Hi Ron Barak,

Welcome to the Red Hat Discussion area.

I suspect from the images you provided, you may not have a partition with free space to assign a Linux installation.

A few questions.

• Are you using a kickstart method to perform the installation or just trying to use the normal graphical installation?
  • You mention in your post above you are using RHEL 7.8, however, the third image of your images shows RHEL 7.5:
anaconda 21.48.22.134-1 for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 started
  • You mention you wish to install RHEL, but from the context, I get the idea you are pursuing a dual-boot installation with Windows and Linux (just attempting to clarify here). If you want to dual boot between Windows and Linux, many have done this, the question is the difficulty with current "secure boot" and UEFI with more modern laptops. This is not necessarily prohibitive, it just means extra steps.

• Question: Which partition were you considering using for your installation?

• Question Have you allocated additional space using a tool such as (this one is old) Partition Magic? Microsoft by now may have the means to reallocate partition sizes. In times past when I did dual-boot, I used a third-party application to shrink the Windows partition and have enough unpartitioned space to perform your Linux install.
  • Some Windows systems have protections with UEFI for secure boot, there is a chance this is getting in your way.

Ron, along with the topic of secure boot, please see this link at HP support where some others have attempted to dual-boot other flavors of Linux and encountered seemingly similar issues that may relate to secure boot.

Ron, also, I noticed at the Fedora project (the upstream project that feeds Red Hat products), it seems a load of Fedora 32 worked (this would resemble RHEL 8 more than RHEL 7.8). However, this may not fit your requirement.

Some options...

• It's been a while, but you might be able to disable secure boot and perform a dual-boot. While I am personally skeptical of the success of a dual-boot with that laptop, it seems someone else did just this with another flavor of Linux at this external link, your actual mileage may vary. They had to shrink the partition among other things in this example. Tailor the ideas they give for RHEL
  • Another option besides dual boot above, using a third-party tool such as a bootable edition of "g-parted", totally wipe the drive, disable secure boot and load Linux only (consider RHEL 8.2, or Fedora 32) (make a backup of Windows installation before this, just in case) - and if you really want Windows, run it virtually using Red Hat's virtualization that comes with Red Hat Linux (it differs from RHEL 7 to 8).
  • Another option, keep Windows and make a virtual Linux system with Oracle Virtual Box (free). VirtualBox is a virtualization software where you can run Linux as a virtual system on top of Windows (Virtual box works for various operating systems).

Let us know if you need further assistance, someone in the forum ought to chime in and assist.

Kind Regards Ron, and welcome again,
RJ

Hi Ron,

Welcome to our community from my side as well ! Please let me add something to RJ's helpful suggestions :
Boot into BIOS and check whether AHCI mode is enabled - if it's not, switch to AHCI mode and try it again. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Ron,

I like to thank you for the amount of detail you provide about the way performed the installation.

Some members do not provide this kind of information.

Welcome and regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Ron, I concur exactly with what Jan said above, thanks!

Regards & welcome,
RJ

It seems that the OS installation got confused by the NTFS partition. Once I told the OS installation to clobber the Windows 10 partitions (they identify as Unknown, and not NTFS), the OS installation finished successfully.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the update ! Glad to read that you could get it done. What you describe explains it.
You should have had shrinked the Windows partition before, and then select the free space. :)

Regards,
Christian

We're glad you go this matter sorted Ron Barak,

Regards,
RJ