new in RHEL

Latest response

Hello,
I'm new to using the Redhat distribution. This one is preinstalled with a Dell R740 server. I managed to make the updates. But I'm encountering a couple of quirks.

• I can't open a terminal under gnome via my user
  • dnf install inxi
    Failed to set locale, defaulting to C.UTF-8
    Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'base_install-Appstream'.
  • Curl error (37) Couldn't read a file:// ...

Other questions :
Is there a forum in french ?
Is there a tutorial for the first installation?
Is there a tutorial to install an Oracle server ?

I know that's a lot of questions at once.
Thank you for your help

Responses

Hi Mickael,

Which release are you running?

About the issues:

• please provide error messages or more details.
  • how did you run dnf?
    • please provide more error messages (the set locale message you can ignore, as a Dutch user I get the same)
  • please provide the complete error message (obsure file names and/or hostnames if needed)

reply to, Other questions:

• no this is the only forum provided by Red Hat on the Customer Portal. The different language forums have been removed due to low numbers of members.
    • I do not know if there is a French Linux User Group outside of this Forum.
    • If you have a question that is hard for you to write in English, we can try to find a French speaking member to help you out.
  • Get started for RHEL is a short how-to.
  • What do you mean? Oracle Linux or Oracle databases on RHEL? not on this forum, you need to go to the Oracle website

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Thanks for your help I am a fedora user.

I don't know if I recorded the right information for the subscription. But I managed to update the distribution. I've seen the graphana update???

Here's some info

uname -a Linux localhost.localdomain 4.18.0-193.6.3.el8_2.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 1 20:24:55 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

vi /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.2 (Ootpa)

Do you think I need to redo a custom installation. I think it'll be better.

dnf install neofetch Failed to set locale, defaulting to C.UTF-8 Updating Subscription Management repositories. Local dump of Operating system CD used for inst 0.0 B/s | 0 B 00:00
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'base_install-AppStream': - Curl error (37): Couldn't read a file:// file for file:///var/os/repodata/repomd.xml [Couldn't open file /var/os/repodata/repomd.xml] Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'base_install-AppStream': Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried Maybe the neofetch package doesn't exist on Redhat.

This server must host an oracle database. I hope redhat is compatible.

Hi Mickael,

Did you register the server to CDN?

subscription-manager --register

About the curl error be aware that the RHEL DVD contains two repos:

• BaseOS
  • AppStream

so in your repo file you need two references, where you might be used to having only one for Fedora, I am not using Fedora since RHEL 3 was introduced.

Oracle RDBMS is compatible with RHEL 8.2 according: Certification Information for Oracle Database on Linux x86-64 (Doc ID 1304727.2) support page of Oracle

choose specific info.

works only if you have an Oracle login

Oracle 19 install document is not a small tutorial, but it is very detailed.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit