yum update -y error (while updating fedora 32)

Latest response

[root@localhost ~]# yum update -y
Last metadata expiration check: 0:11:51 ago on Tuesday 09 June 2020 02:56:04 PM.
Error:
Problem: The operation would result in removing the following protected packages: kernel-core
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

pls help anyone, how to resolve?

Responses

Hi Chiranjit,

Besides we are focused on RHEL in this community - what exactly have you done before ? The error is not normal.
Are you trying to upgrade from Fedora 31 to 32 ... or do you try to upgrade an already installed Fedora 32 system ?
As a first workaround I recommend to execute the following commands in order to clean up DNF and the cache. :)

sudo dnf clean all

sudo rm -r /var/cache/dnf
sudo rm -r /var/cache/PackageKit

sudo dnf upgrade
sudo pkcon refresh

Regards,
Christian

No I'm just normally update the fedora 32 version as on before, but unable to do.

I have tried the same as you said, but no luck..

Same Error: Problem: The operation would result in removing the following protected packages: kernel-core (try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

please guide me for next steps...

I,ve another query for removing previous unused kernel?

how to do that? previous method not working... sudo package-cleanup --oldkernels –count=1

Error: [root@localhost ~]# sudo package-cleanup --oldkernels –count=1

package-cleanup has to be executed with one of the options: --dupes, --leaves, --orphans, --problems or --cleandupes

Try:

sudo dnf update -y --skip-broken

Like it says?

[root@localhost ~]# yum install -y --skip-broken

usage: yum install [-c [config file]] [-q] [-v] [--version] [--installroot [path]] [--nodocs] [--noplugins] [--enableplugin [plugin]] [--disableplugin [plugin]] [--releasever RELEASEVER] [--setopt SETOPTS] [--skip-broken] [-h] [--allowerasing] [-b | --nobest] [-C] [-R [minutes]] [-d [debug level]] [--debugsolver] [--showduplicates] [-e ERRORLEVEL] [--obsoletes] [--rpmverbosity [debug level name]] [-y] [--assumeno] [--enablerepo [repo]] [--disablerepo [repo] | --repo [repo]] [--enable | --disable] [-x [package]] [--disableexcludes [repo]] [--repofrompath [repo,path]] [--noautoremove] [--nogpgcheck] [--color COLOR] [--refresh] [-4] [-6] [--destdir DESTDIR] [--downloadonly] [--comment COMMENT] [--bugfix] [--enhancement] [--newpackage] [--security] [--advisory ADVISORY] [--bz BUGZILLA] [--cve CVES] [--sec-severity {Critical,Important,Moderate,Low}] [--forcearch ARCH] PACKAGE [PACKAGE ...]

yum install: error: the following arguments are required: PACKAGE

again error shown?? pls guide

Hi Chiranjit,

You forgot to add WHAT (which package) you want to install ! :)
The command should be : dnf install -y <package-name>

Regards,
Christian

Hi Chiranjit,

Please stick to the subject, if you have a new question please open a new Discussion.

For people that have the issue mentioned in the subject it becomes confusing if yoyuu which to a new issue in the same thread.

Try dnf remove kernel at least on RHEL the running kernel is kept and all other kernel get remove.

Regards.

Jan Gerrit

It sounds to me as if you have some dependency holding onto your old kernels (possibly something form a non-Fedora source eg. graphic card drivers) so trying to remove them might not be the best approach, and yum or dnf will remove old kernels automatically (usually keeping 3). My suggestion will be to update everything that will update eg. with dnf update --skip-broken (I wouldn't advise using -y as you probably want to see what yum or dnf wants to do before proceeding), then look at or share the errors you get with a normal dnf update