License Expiration Question

Latest response

Based on information we have from Red Hat, it appears the Tower license expires after one year of installation. We are new to Ansible and was wondering how the below would be answered:

We purchase a 100 node license.
Pull down code via the Automation Hub
Develop playbooks.

After one year, the automation system we developed is fully functioning.

After the license expires, including any grace periods, will our automation system continue to work?

thanks

Responses

Hi Stan,

From the Tower GUI : don't think so ... but even if it would, you violate the license terms and conditions then.
From the Engine CLI : yes ... but in order to not violate the T&C's, do it from a system like CentOS or Fedora.
On RHEL you can use ansible engine in order to run playbooks that remediate issues detected by Insights. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hello Christian,

I am not clear... Are you saying we need to pay 5k every year to use the GUI? If we don't, we use CLI to launch playbooks? And we should develop and run on CentOS and not use RHEL if we are not going to pay 5k every year?

thanks

Stan

Hi Stan,

Yes, after the license has expired, you have to renew it - or not ... it's your decision.
Best would be to contact your sales representative and discuss the topic with him.
It is something like renting a car, you know - possibly you can negotiate pricing ? :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

ok,,,yes negotiations is an option,., this then is not like our VMware.... When you purchase VMware, you have to by SnS for at least 1 yr. If you don't renew after 1 yr, software still runs, but you can get support..

I am not sure this has been done, but it may have been asked... Are the playbooks developed with Ansible Tower transportable to use in AWX?

We are going to build an automated system to deploy VMs in VMware vCenter 6.7 or 7.0.

If we purchase Tower and down the road, want to move the playbooks over to run under AWX, would this work?

thanks

Hi Stan,

Yes, I assume that your playbooks should work with AWX as well, right as they should work with Ansible Engine.
Tower builds upon Engine, so yes, it should work. By the way, we are volunteers here, not Red Hat employees. :)

Regards,
Christian

ok,,,

thanks

I figured the palybooks would work eiherway, just didn't know if there was some license issue taking playbooks developed with Automation Hub etc. and moving to AWX

Stan

You're welcome, Stan ! :)