Deactivate kdump in kickstart installation

Latest response

Hi all!

I'm installing Red Hat 8 with a kickstart config. There I'm deactivating kdump with the following lines:

%addon com_redhat_kdump --disable
%end

In the installation process it correctly says that kdump is disabled. But why do systemctl throws an error after the installation?

[root@hostname ~]# systemctl status kdump
● kdump.service - Crash recovery kernel arming
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/kdump.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2020-05-22 14:24:09 CEST; 1h 38min ago
Main PID: 1036 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Shouldn't the kdump service be disabled?

Thanks in advance!

Responses

Hi Matthias,

The systemd unit file is configured to kdump service being enabled by default. :)
If kdump is enabled, it wouldn't work when the kdump service would be disabled.
Just run sudo systemctl mask kdump.service to get rid of the notifications.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

thanks for your reply. I agree, it makes sense to have the unit file enabled IF I activate kdump in the installation process. But what sense do the disable option make in the kickstart file when I have to deactivate the kdump.service after the installation manually? But then I have to disable or mask the service by salt afterwards if this is by design.. ;-)

Regards, Matthias

Hi Matthias,

It is a logical consequence chain : a systemd service can either be enabled, or disabled by default.
This is independent from what a user configures and - if the service is disabled, kdump can't work.

A lot of users enable and use kdump, so the service has to be enabled by default ... the other way
around : if it was disabled, all users who want to run kdump would first have to enable the service.

That would not be 'the best idea' - I think you can agree ... hope I could explain it good enough. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi again,

sure, you're right. Most are using kdump, I also when I need it. So activating kdump is a default setting when I don't configure anything in the kickstart. But I was just wondering why I can disable kdump in the kickstart file? What is this option for when I have to disable it again afterwards manually? The kickstart guide itself says that "--disable" disables kdump on the installed system. Probably I've understood the kickstart documentation wrong. But than the option makes absolutely no sense to me in the kickstart config.

Regards, Matthias

Well Matthias, what can I say ? One user wants to make use of kdump, the other not - hence the
possibility to exclude it during the installation process. But is it really a problem ? Don't think so.
You can choose to either ignore the warning message, or - you can simply mask the service ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Matthias,

In order to get answers on kdump related questions, I recommend to read the documentation
about how to install, configure, and use kdump : RHEL Installing and configuring kdump ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

maybe I haven't wrote clearly what I mean or you got me wrong. English is not my native language. ;-) I know how to configure kdump IF I want it. I just wondered why it's active when I deactivate it in the kickstart. Nothing more. I don't wanted to open a discussion about if kdump itself makes sense or not. But thanks for your replys.

Regards, Matthias

You're welcome, Matthias ! No, I got what you mean and I think I answered your question before :
A systemd service can either be enabled, or disabled by default and here it is set to "enabled". :)

Regards,
Christian