Red Hat Developer Subscription : Renewal - Best Practice

Latest response

Prelimary Note : The procedure being described below should solve registering, and subscription related problems in most of the cases !

Today was a magic day to me - I had to renew my (free no-cost) Red Hat Developer Subscription, which was somewhat painful in the last years.
This time everything worked as expected, but I think it has to do with my long time experience on how the Red Hat "subscription system" works.
I want to share the two important steps with our community members, because this topic pops up every now and then. This is how it gets done :

Once the subscription has expired - logout of the Red Hat account, then clear the web browser cache and data, close and re-open the browser.
Login to https://developers.redhat.com (do not login to https://www.redhat.com or any other Red Hat website that uses single-sign-on before).
You are getting asked to agree to the current terms and conditions. Mark all check boxes and apply, a new subscription is added to the account.

Unfortunately the new developer subscription ships with a new Pool ID, which means that all systems have to be unregistered and re-registered.
Also, all repositories that had been added or modified are set back to the default (basic) settings, additional repositories have to be re-enabled.
Here is the complete procedure to re-register the system(s), to attach the subscription, and to re-register systems to https://cloud.redhat.com :

Un-register the system :

sudo subscription-manager remove --all
sudo subscription-manager unregister
sudo subscription-manager clean

Re-register the system :

sudo subscription-manager register
sudo subscription-manager refresh

Search for the Pool ID :

sudo subscription-manager list --available

Attach the subscription :

sudo subscription-manager attach --pool=<Pool-ID>

Check for enabled repos :

sudo subscription-manager repos --list-enabled

Check for available repos :

sudo subscription-manager repos --list

Enable additional repos :

sudo subscription-manager repos --enable <repo-name>

Clean dnf and cache :
(yum for RHEL 6 / 7)

sudo dnf clean all
sudo rm -r /var/cache/dnf

Update the resources :

sudo dnf upgrade

Re-register to Insights :

sudo insights-client --register

Note : These instructions are valid for every RHEL subscription, of course - not only for the free Developer subscription - but also for paid ones.

Additional information from Red Hat : FAQs for no-cost Red Hat Enterprise Linux offered via the Red Hat Developer Subscription for Individuals

Regards,
Christian

Responses

Thanks Christian! This was certainly needed.

Regards,
RJ

Thank you RJ ! Glad you find it to be useful. :)

Regards,
Christian

I'm confident others will find it useful as well. This is the kind of thing we could produce (customer has a generic issue, we point them to this sort of pre-existing thing we developed or if possible an existing solution from Red Hat).

Yes, I absolutely agree. Thanks (again) RJ ! :)

Thank you Christian. Yes, this is indeed useful & helpful.

Thank you Sadashiva ! I'm glad that you're sharing RJ's opinion. :)

Regards,
Christian

Great article Christian.

Thank you Jan Gerrit ! :)

Thanks, Christian. Great and very useful info.

You're welcome, Bobby ! :)

You need to check under Customer Portal > Subscriptions if there is a Master Pool ID attached to your subscription after accepting the terms & conditions. If it is not you can't attach the subscription. I had the case that no Master Pool ID was attached. I do not know if it just takes 24 hours or my mail to customerservice@redhat.com helped - I did not get an answer.

Hi Robert,

It most probably needed a few hours to generate the new Pool ID ... I usually wait one day to be on the safe side. :)

Regards,
Christian

customerservice@redhat.com has been utterly useless in this matter. They wrote me to re-register the subscriptions to my system. After I told them I did the complete subscript-manager remove/unregister/clean/register/attach stanza. Which did not work because no Master Pool was assigned. It seems like one has to wait for one day.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your feedback ... it confirms that what I said is still valid - to avoid frustration - just wait for one day. :)

Regards,
Christian