rhvm-appliance not found

Latest response

Hi,
I'm trying to install RHEV Manager 4.3 following the instructions provided here: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.3/html/installing_red_hat_virtualization_as_a_self-hosted_engine_using_the_command_line/installing_the_red_hat_virtualization_manager_she_cli_deploy. I've enabled just about every know RH repository with no luck. I was tried some older documentation and found and was able to install rhvm. I'm wondering if there is a difference? I'm wondering if the documentation I'm using is just poorly written? I'm also wondering if anyone has install RHVM 4.3 successfully?

Thanks, Mark

Responses

Hello,

If you are using a RHV-H hypevisor, you'll need to enable the following repo on your hypervisor: (Chapter 4.11)

subscription-manager repos --enable=rhel-7-server-rhvh-4-rpms

Then you should be able to install that package (yum install rhvm-appliance)

If you are using a RHEL server as a hypervisor, you'll need a different set of repositories:

# subscription-manager repos \
    --disable='*' \
    --enable=rhel-7-server-rpms \
    --enable=rhel-7-server-rhv-4-mgmt-agent-rpms \
    --enable=rhel-7-server-ansible-2-rpms

Just to clarify, this package (rhvm-appliance) contains an OVA file for a RHEL7 VM, pre-installed with RHVM software. The deploy process creates the manager VM (HostedEngine) using this OVA file. So you don't have to go and install RHEL, then rhvm separately. You will need to register the VM so that you can download updates going forward.

Once the VM is deployed, you can log into the RHVM GUI and use your new environment (create VM storage domain, add hypervisors, create VM's etc).

is it bettter to install rhel server and build off of that or install Hypervisor Image for RHV 4.3.10 baremetal and build out that way?

Hi Robert - generally it's better to use the Hypervisor Image (rhv-h), as it's preconfigured with only the packages that you need for virtualization. Also you can easily upgrade just by doing an image refresh, and roll back by booting into the previous image (if needed). Finally it doesn't require a separate RHEL subscription.

If for some reason you are planning to install 3rd party software on your hypervisor, or make a lot of heavy customization (neither highly recommended), then using a RHEL server might be the way to go.