RHEL Workstation V7 to V8 Upgrade

Latest response

Is there any reason why there is no upgrade path for RHEL Workstation V7 to V8?

Can it be done at all, even not officially supported?

Responses

Hi Peter,

Any reason ? Thousands ! HaHaHa ... Now seriously : too much changed under the hood.
Also, it is generally not recommended to upgrade from one major release to the next. :)

Regards,
Christian

Many thanks for your reply, Christian,

While understanding the general recommendation in favour of new installation than an upgrade, unfortunately there are real requirements for our project to retain their working environment as close as possible to avoid major efforts that may require to set up a number of systems from scratch.

Hence we shall appreciate experts like yourself or from Red Hat can provide an upgrade mechanism for Workstations as well as for Servers to make life easier for us and possibly for many others.

Moreover, I have gathered that there is an unofficial upgrade mechanism for CentOS. It will be a spendid news if Red Hat can do that officially.

Regards, Peter

You're welcome, Peter ! Sometimes even experts can't provide solutions for what might end in a
mess ... and this case is one of them - it takes less time to install the system from scratch than it
takes to repair something which in the end may not be perfect and generate a lot of trouble ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Peter.

While you can perform the major upgrade from 7.x to 8.x, it does not come without high risk. Be prepared in advance with the following:

• A total backup of any data you our your computer you are intending to impale on this high-risk upgrade
  • A tested means to perform a restore of the backup you made in the previous step
  • A maintenance window that you've coordinated with your management, your customers, anyone you'd lean on for support for when you do this upgrade, and a second maintenance window following (see below) if it goes poorly so you can reestablish a new server if your current one crashes as a result of the upgrade.
  • A valid viable fall-back plan if it fails (this really is high-risk).
  • A valid kickstart with all the necessary directives needed to make a new system precisely to function as your current system.
  • If you can do a "physical-to-virtual" (think vmware or Red Hat virtualization) where you make a copy of your physical system to a virtual PRIOR to performing the upgrade.
  • Have the necessary people and maintenance window pre-established (with necessary resources, computer, storage, data, networking, etc) so that if this fails so that you are not scrambling to get business-critical services established if this goes poorly.

Highly recommend you establish a new system, load it with a current edition of RHEL, and then establish all the necessary services/data functions as your old server then migrate people from the old server to the new.

Regards

RJ

Thanks RJ, for your detailed instructions.

However, it does not seem to me to be feasbile to do so on a RHEL Workstation, having noted the requirements stated in https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/upgrading_to_rhel_8/index

In that, only "The Server variant" are supported.

Otherwise, it will be a really fantastic news for us.

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter,

What I wrote is certainly more appropriate for a server I think

Regards RJ

Peter, workstations are like "cattle see slide there" - why not just reload it with RHEL 8 and make your workstation perform whatever the previous one did?

Regards

RJ

Hi Peter,

I strongly agree what RJ told you ... please backup your data, perform a fresh installation of RHEL 8 and restore back the data. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks to both of your interesting responses.

Unfortunately apart from a common set of standard packages, we have 3rd party and home developed applications that would need to be installed on each of the new workstations. We have estimated that it will take a considerable amount of effort and time to start a new installation from scratch and reinstall all the relevant products and tuning. A simple user data restore is not going to help much.

On the other hand, given Red Hat have already provided an upgrade path for Servers, I have every confidence in them in providing an upgrade path for Workstations too. Afterall, they are all commercial products that users are paying for. I hope they can listen to users' real demands.

But thanks to you both again for your constructive comments.

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter,

You could create an ansible playbook which let's you install the applications "with one shot" on all workstations. From a technical point of view this upgrade includes a high risk of failure ! Of course it's up to you to decide. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Peter,

Have you opened a RfE support case or a bugzilla to get LeAPP available for Workstation? Be aware LeAPP has many constraints for it to work without issues.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

P.S. the advise of Christian and RJ are great, but in-house and 3rd party applications can cause issues when re-installing. On the other hand what did you do migrating from RHEL 6- to RHEL7?

Thanks, Jan,

A very good suggestion. I have just submitted a RFE support case.

Many thanks again for all your useful comments, brilliant.

Regards, Peter

You're welcome, Peter ! Glad you appreciate our assistance. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hello Peter,

You are welcome.

So we all 3 have shown the value of being chosen as Accelerators?

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Jan Gerrit,

Are you sure Peter knows what an "Accelerator" (in this context) is ? :D :D :D

Regards,
Christian

I probably don't. but I do find the comments from Jan, RJ and yourself are fair and direct to the point.

They are good as far as I am concerned. Thumbs up.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the compliment. :) Here is the link to Red Hat Accelerators : https://access.redhat.com/accelerators

Regards,
Christian