extending root file system (redhat 6) ext4

Latest response

Hi Support,
I am a newbie to redhat
If I were to extend root volume to extend root file system size, Will it cause issues ? Do we need to have a backup just in case?
Can we do it on the fly without causing any issues to data on that root FS

Thanks
Lak

Responses

Hi Lakshmi,

Will it cause issues ? In more than 90 % of all cases not. But if you want to be on the safe(r) side - you know ...
Do we need a backup ? It is more than recommended to always have a current system backup image available.
Can we do it on the fly ? Yes you can, but I recommend to do it from a live medium when the system is offline.
A good old system admin rule still is valid : Never work on disks and partitions from within a running system ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Lakshmi,

I can't find the discussion for this, and a long while ago I documented my own negative experience with this.

I put in a case with Red Hat before extending "/" ext4 LVM on RHEL 6.whateverwascurrentatthetime (meaning I was using whatever minor release of RHEL was currernt, I think it was rhel 6.8 or 6.9).

I did thorough research, I went through the the entire process properly based on the feedback from the case with Red Hat. I additionally put all my steps (somewhere) in the Red Hat discussion area.

To say there is "risk involved" with this is a dire understatement. In my specific case it went poorly even though I spent significant time researching the proper steps between 1) documentation 2) a case with Red Hat and 3) posting my proposed procedure here in the discussion forum.

So all of that I've written above leads to this. Absolutely positively have a backup and ensure you are ready to rebuild the system completely and I was ready with a carefully thought out kickstart, and all necessary data backed up on the system I attempted to extend "/" (ext4, rhel6.x).

Have another human you trust examine your backup, and ability to restore said backup. Also have them evaluate that all necessary things have been taken off (copy all config files as needed someplace). Really be able to build a new system from scratch..

Hope it goes well. Have a viable backup plan, and I hope it goes better for you.

Regards

RJ

Hi RJ,

I'm glad to have such an esteemed "buddy", who shares my experiences/opinions on the risks ... Thank you ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Absolutely Christian,

I suspected there was great risk based on my research when I attempted to extend "/" on rhel6 with ext4. And the risk proved true... I'm glad I had viable backups, and a kickstart ready with all viable values, and an ability to restore in place before I proceeded!

Thanks Christian

Regards

RJ

Cannot agree more, RJ - whenever a critical change is due, I create a system backup beforehand. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi RJ Thank you for your advice There are so many "How To@ documents on the web and also in the redhat site, But I did not see mention of definite backups need to be ready prior to root volume / root fs extend

Thanks Lak

Hi Lakshmi,

RHEL aims mainly at enterprise customers and those have their own IT department.
And the sysadmins who are working there know about the importance of backups. :)

Regards,
Christian

You can try this Website and easily get Redhat Certifications source link: RedHat Certifications

Hi Sophia,

Welcome to our community ! :) But - how is your message relevant to this specific discussion ? :D

Regards,
Christian

Hello Lak,

--Yes,

Sadly what you find in the web ought to be considered with the mantra of "your actual mileage may vary". I find documentation to be often lacking in many regards

Regards

RJ

Yes RJ, you're right, but I think it's kinda logical - bits and bytes can break, with or without user interaction.
It can hit everyone - every second. The first lesson I've learned was to backup data and system regularly. :)

Regards,
Christian

Completely agree Christian

Regards

RJ