Red Hat Developer subscription or not?

Latest response

Hi everyone, I searched everywhere but I didn't understand how to properly use or not the subscription in question.
I have installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 workstations on my personal laptop.
I have two active subscriptions: a normal 30-day trial and one for developer, this lasts for a year.
After a short time I removed Red Hat 8 to try Fedora 30.
What I wanted to understand and which for now is not very clear to me are the following concepts: is it necessary to have a paid subscription for a personal and correct use of Red Hat 8 or can I use the developer one? If it is correct to use the latter, will my system receive system updates,system upgrades, package updates, security patches, etc. in the same way as a paid subscription?
And finally, if I wanted to reinstall Red Hat 8 how do I connect the right subscription of the two at the time of installation?

Thanks to all.

Responses

Hi Fabio,

The free no-cost Developer subscription is meant to be used for development purposes only, as per the terms and conditions.
You are not allowed to use this subscription for commercial and production usage - you can find all information in the FAQ's. :)

https://developers.redhat.com/articles/faqs-no-cost-red-hat-enterprise-linux

https://developers.redhat.com/articles/faq-changes-red-hat-developer-programs-no-cost-subscriptions

And yes, you will receive system upgrades, package updates, security patches in the same way as you do in a paid subscription.
To attach the developer subscription to the freshly installed RHEL 8 system, find the Pool ID, and then attach it to the system.

Register the system :

sudo subscription-manager register
sudo subscription-manager refresh

Search the Pool ID :

sudo subscription-manager list --available

Attach to the sub :

sudo subscription-manager attach --pool=<Pool-ID>

Regards,
Christian

I don't understand. I thought RH is allowing up to 16 production servers on one account/sub. How can rhel be "for development purposes only".

RH Announcement

Hi Aleksandar,

Haven't you seen my update message ? This discussion started in 2019 ... a lot has changed since. :)

Regards,
Christian

Sorry, i didn't look at date. Damn you necroposters!

No problem, Aleksandar ... :)

Hi Christian,

Thank you very much for the clarifications.

Regards,

Fabio.

You're welcome, Fabio ! I'm glad that they are useful for you. :)

Regards,
Christian

is RHEL developer subscription free to renew? Also to mention, I connected my RHEL to insights through insights-client and after I did so, I saw 2 subscriptions attached to my Red Hat Developer account. One being the Developer subscription to RHEL itself and other called "1 Year Unsupported Red Hat Insights for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Evaluation". Is that also free. If yes, is that also free to renew too? I'd be grateful if someone could answer the above queries. :)

Hi Aaradhya,

Yes, the Red Hat Developer Subscription is free to renew, after expiration simply sign in to the Developer website.
Red Hat Insights is included in every RHEL subscription, which means that you don't have to renew it separately. :)

Regards,
Christian

I would like to ask, although not recommended, once if my RHEL reaches its full end of cycle and gets fully outdated, will i still be able to use yum install right? I know updates won't be available and I just want to install and uninstall the last supported version for that particular package (say httpd) at that time. Will I be able to do so or I would be locked out of yum and can't use yum command anymore? Sorry for being a noobie but I really need an answer. Thanks in advance!

Hi Aaradhya,

Relevant is if you are having a valid subscription ... as long as you have one, you can install packages with yum. :)

Regards,
Christian

Aaradhya,

Christian (and I) have mentioned in different threads to renew one’s developer subscription, to wait until the day after the expiration and log into developers.red hat.com, and then respond appropriately to the prompt given, and you ought to be back in operation. I am not a Red-Hatter and I myself go through the same established renewal process for my own developer’s subscription.

I have never seen anyone lose access to their system as a result an expired subscription expiration. There is a temporary lack of access to yum repositories only, until the renewal is complete. Once the subscription renewal is resolved, then person may have to resubscribe their system and/or repositories, but that is all.

Now if for some unrelated reason a person loses access to their RHEL system, they can exercise the typical root password recovery methods, and once again have access to their specific Red Hat system.

Regards,
RJ

All,

For the record : Meanwhile the Terms and Conditions for the no-cost Red Hat Developer subscription have been updated.
As of February 1st, 2021 users are allowed to install and use up to 16 system at no cost for development and in production.

Regards,
Christian

That's a really great news! I was dying to see this, literally. There are tons of people like me who want to use our RHEL developer systems in production (for the obvious reason that we can't afford a RHEL subscription), while respecting the Red Hat's Terms and Condition. I know there are multiple forks of the same OS but what actually matters to us are the services that revolve around it, and a community of awesome people like you! Thank you very much for resolving our queries real fast, Community Leaders :)

You're welcome, Aaradhya ! I'm glad to see that you appreciate our assistance and contributions. :)

Regards,
Christian

You're quite welcome Aaradhya,

Red Hat (not us volunteers) has made this new feature of 16 Red Hat developer subscriptions for production available - a pretty good move in my opinion.

Regards,
RJ

Hi RJ,

Couldn't agree more with you ... a great reaction on all the negativity regarding CentOS being spread out there. :)

Regards,
Christian

When this happened, I was literally shaken but I knew it wasn't the end and Red Hat would sure come up with a solution. And Red Hat giving RHEL free for personal production is way better than CentOS, in terms of both the attached services and the community support. Although, sometimes I still think why did it happen at first place?

I agree, but not all community are so friendly with the newbies. I started learning about the server infrastructure when I was 14 (due to my deep interests, of course) and started my own production unit at the age of 16. But one thing all the way to this day, which is constant is my excitement to learn new things. Sometimes, simply Googling isn't as useful, and the only source for obtaining knowledge is the community. I'm not a member of many communities, but honestly not all of them have such a healthy discussion environment. I know Red Hat has made the changes, but I was thanking you all for your helpfulness. Also to mention, no company is great without its people coz in my opinion, they are the ones who maintain the contact and relations with the outside world. So, a huge thank you to all of you!

You're welcome, Aaradhya (once again) ! I'm glad that you appreciate our assistance. :)

Regards,
Christian

Aaradhya,

Here's a couple more sources for Linux information learn.redhat.com and also the free courses Red Hat Linux gives away See Jim Meegan's post gives at this link at learn.redhat.com

Regards,
RJ

Do the no cost subscription work with rhel7.9 ?

Hi Sathia,

Short answer : YES ! :)

Regards,
Christian