libssh2-devel cannot be installed from codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms repo (BZ1713780)

Latest response

Hello,

I wonder if I'm missing something, but while I can search for libssh2-devel package on the portal (https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/libssh2-devel/1.8.0-7.module+el8+2833+c7d6d092/x86_64/fd431d51/package) I cannot install it from OS. Page with package says that it is included in codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms so I have enabled that repository but when I tried to install the package it cannot be found.

# subscription-manager repos --enable=codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms 
Repository 'codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms' is enabled for this system.

# dnf repolist
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Last metadata expiration check: 0:07:48 ago on Fri 09 Aug 2019 09:30:07 AM CEST.
repo id                                                                                        repo name                                                                                                      status
codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms                                                       Red Hat CodeReady Linux Builder for RHEL 8 x86_64 (RPMs)                                                       1,490
rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms                                                               Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream (RPMs)                                                       5,736
rhel-8-for-x86_64-baseos-rpms                                                                  Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS (RPMs)                                                          2,097

# dnf install libssh2-devel
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:32 ago on Fri 09 Aug 2019 09:30:07 AM CEST.
No match for argument: libssh2-devel
Error: Unable to find a match

Are there any extra steps needed here to be able to use dnf install libssh2-devel command and install the package in RHEL 8.0? (I can install the package by downloading it manually from portal website)

Update/Resolution: The answer is that virt-devel module needs to be enabled. Currently this requirement cannot be figured out easily and there is proposal to improve this in
Bug 1713780 - Many packages are not accessible until a module is enabled.
There is no way to search what module a package is in without first having
the module enabled which is counter intuitive

# yum module enable virt-devel
Dependencies resolved.
==============================================================================
 Package        Arch             Version             Repository          Size
Enabling module streams:
 virt-devel                       rhel

Transaction Summary

Is this ok [y/N]: y
Complete!

Switching module streams does not alter installed packages (see 'module enable' in dnf(8) for details)
# yum list libssh2-devel
Available Packages
libssh2-devel.i686          1.8.0-7.module+el8+2833+c7d6d092     codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms
libssh2-devel.x86_64        1.8.0-7.module+el8+2833+c7d6d092     codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms

Responses

Hi Ondrej,

I could reproduce what you've described on RHEL 8.0 and on RHEL 8.1 (Beta).
So, I recommend to open a Support Case and/or contact Customer Service. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian, Thanks for checking on your side. Good to know that this can be reproduced.

Ondrej

You're welcome, Ondrej ! :)

Please keep us updated what the Red Hat support team said and how they could got this resolved.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

The answer is that virt-devel module needs to be enabled. I'm further checking if this information can be seen somewhere in web portal.

Ondrej

Thanks for the information, Ondrej,

I've not seen it, yet ... would be nice to have a list that shows what's available in which module. :)

Regards,
Christian

which seems to part of following bugzilla request for making it more clear on which package is in which module or how to search among them. I have closed case after this as I think all needed was answered and situation is clear now - it is not possible to tell from web portal what module needs to be enabled and apparently is not easy to get the package installed easily without knowing in which module it belongs.

Bug 1713780 - Many packages are not accessible until a module is enabled. There is no way to search what module a package is in without first having the module enabled which is counter intuitive

Ondrej

I completely agree with you, Ondrej ... and thank you for sharing the related bugzilla report ! :)

Regards,
Christian

I was wondering if that was a bug.

Thanks Ondrej Faměra - can you add "BZ 1713780" to the subject line of this thread you started?

Thanks/Regards

RJ

Hi RJ,

I think it's not exactly a bug, but rather a lack of (advanced) documentation ... :)

Regards,
Christian

anyway I have added BZ number into title and updated the end of post with link to BZ explaining what it is about.

I find the lack of documentation ... disturbing :)

Great meme use Ondrej

HaHaHa ... nice ... always good to see humorous aspects included ... :)

Ah ok, thanks Christian

You're welcome, RJ ! :)