Installer Black Screen RHEL 8.0.0 MacBook Pro 16GB 2xHD

Latest response

Trying to install in a multi-boot environment using a USB device and rhel-8.0-x86_64-dvd.iso. The installer boots the kernel and comes up with the first screen, but stops at a black screen with a character cursor flashing in the upper left of screen, about 10-15 sec after arrowing down to "Install RHEL 8.0.0" and pressing Enter. Activity light on the USB drive (ISOStick) stops flashing then. Ctrl/Alt/F1-2-3... has no effect. Obviously can't ssh in as no installation has been done and the sshd not started, but just to be complete, I tried both ping and ssh to the IP that our DHCP will give the machine, nothing doing on either.

Machine has 2 HDs, the first has among others a Ubuntu partition and a Windows Recovery partition that I will free up when/if I get the installer to get that far. First HD is fdisk partitioned and the second is GUID. I doubt the kernel has a problem with this as Ubuntu and 2 other OSes boot up OK on the machine (one from each disk, using rEFInd).

I have compared (twice, using cmp and again w/ md5) the file I downloaded and used to install successfully under VirtualBox with the CD-ROM image presented by the ISOStick, and they are identical.

Anyone who knows the installer innards (as opposed to random guessing :-)) please help me get over this hurdle? TIA!

Responses

Hi Ian,

I think it's a hardware compatibility issue, press the E key before the boot process starts and add nomodeset at the end
of the line beginning with linux. Do the same after the installation is finished when booting the system for the first time.
Then examine what causes the problem. Eventually you have to install a proprietary (graphics) driver. Hope this helps. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks Christian for your quick response! That got me further...

I temporarily enabled finding of external devices in refind.conf (normally off for security!) in the EFI partition on drive 2, and rebooted. Selected the choice with grub and Anaconda. Hit enter, held E key. That indeed got me into grub edit mode, where I added nomodeset to the end of the vmlinuz line. Had to use F10 to get out, as CTRL/X didn't work.

Woot! That got me the graphical installer.

Then failbot again. Several issues relating to the drive I'm trying to install on being fdisk-partitioned; ultimately the installer just would not accept that drive to install on. I don't have time this week to try converting my main system drive to GPT, so as they say, "Maybe later."

BTW, as far as eventually having "to install a proprietary (graphics) driver", I'm not sure: when I boot OpenBSD, famous for its actually-usable dmesg format, I see:

inteldrm0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel HD Graphics 4000" rev 0x09

Is RHEL so selective that it won't work on this common Intel video chip?

Again, thanks for the help. That's the beauty of these forums - when they work, they work well.

You're welcome, Ian ! I'm glad that I could help you. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Ian,

Forget to say ... graphics drivers often are the root cause, so it was just a guessing. It can be anything else of course.
You don't have to install an intel driver, RHEL comes with with this driver preinstalled. But in case you have a second
(dedicated) graphics adapter (many machines ship with an additional AMD or NVIDIA chip), then it might be a good
idea to have a deeper look into those - and, eventually install the matching proprietary driver to solve problems ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Quoting: "The installer boots the kernel and comes up with the first screen, but stops at a black screen with a character cursor flashing in the upper left of screen"

I had a similar issue in Virtualbox and couldn't install RHEL8 on my brand-new MacBook Pro.

For me the following solution worked:

In VirtualBox --> VM --> Settings --> System --> Motherboard --> Extended Features --> Enable "Enable EFI (special OSes only)

I tried enabling "EFI (special OSes only)", and I passed the black screen, but another challenge arose, "the booting process did not continue", instead I saw a shell prompt and I don't know what to write.