Upgrade compatibility level on single hypervisor RHV 4.2 to 4.3 with hosted engine

Latest response

I just finished upgrading my RHV 4.2 environment to 4.3. There is one last step I need to do, which is changing the compatibility level for the cluster. I managed to do that on the previous upgrades, but this time it seems to be a bit of a catch 22. I only have a single hypervisor (although it is a pretty large one) with a self hosted engine for RHV-M. I cannot set the compatibility level to 4.3 because there still is an active VM, i.e. the hosted engine.

The error is:
Error while executing action: Cannot change Cluster Compatibility Version to higher version when there are active Hosts with a lower version. Please move Host mc106 with lower version to maintenance first.

I cannot move it to maintenance since it is running the hosted engine and it has nowhere it can relocate to.

Has anyone found a way to deal with this?

Responses

Hello,

"Cannot change Cluster Compatibility Version to higher version when there are active Hosts with a lower version."...

Its actually complaining that the hypervisor is not new enough. You will need to shut down the manager, upgrade and reboot the host, then start the manager again.

Hypervisor compatibility requirements can be found in the last table here

Thanks that really helped. I did see that it was complaining about the hypervisor, but I did not think of that because I had recently upgraded it (just before I upgraded RHV-M). So I took a closer look and it turned out the content view on Satellite had an issue. All good now.