Satellite 6 installation on RHEL8

Latest response

Greetings..

Just want to know can we install satellite 6 on RHEL 8 server ?

Currently I am using satellite 5.8. And want to start using satellite 6. My plan was to install on RHEL7. But as RHEL 8 become general available, thinking to install satellite 6 on RHEL8.

Any suggestions ... ?

Thanks
Bijo

Responses

Hi Bijo,

I looked through the docs at this link and a couple of other places. The instructions speak of installing this on RHEL 7.x (most current rhel7.x). There is nothing for installing satellite 6.x on a rhel 8 server.

Of course satellite 6.5 supports CLIENTS that happen to be RHEL 8, however, at the moment July 24th 2019, installing Satellite 6.5 is not yet supported on RHEL 8. Red Hat, if I'm wrong, please update this discussion.

Regards

RJ

This is correct. Satellite 6.5 supports RHEL8 clients. A future release of Satellite 6 will support installation of the server or capsule on RHEL8. Additionally, that future release will support a process (similar if not identical to satellite-clone) which will support migrating your Satellite from RHEL7 to RHEL8.

RJ,

IMHO you are correct, in May this was stated on a Partnership meeting too. RHEL 8 clients are supported, but a Satellite install on RHEL 8 is not.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Thanks RJ , Rich and Jan for the inputs. Much helpful.

Thanks Rich, Jan Gerrit Kootstra for the inputs,

Regards

RJ

Thanks RJ for the confirmation.

Hello, Any news on this ? Do we have a release date to start installing Satellite 6.6 on RHEL 8.1 ? Thanks!

I wouldn't expect it any time soon. A year ago (during RHEL 8 beta), there was talk about Satellite 6.6 running on 8.x, but that disappeared this summer as RHEL 8.1 and Satellite 6.6 went into beta. No official word yet on the roadmap...but given that 8.x is fully supported as a client, I wouldn't worry about deploying new Satellites or Capsules on RHEL 7 for at least the next year or so.