Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.6 freezes when rebooting

Latest response

I have a machine installed with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.6 (Maipo) that freezes every time I try to reboot it (using "shutdown -r now" of using the graphical interface). The display freezes with a message saying "Rebooting" and thats all.

I already tried the solutions proposed here:

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/198483

but inothing changed.

This is my current output of the "cat /proc/cmdline" command:

BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.10.0-957.1.3.el7.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/rhel-root ro crashkernel=auto rd.lvm.lv=rhel/root rd.lvm.lv=rhel/swap rhgb quiet

Responses

Hi Federico,

We need a bit more information about what you have done, what you have installed, which GPU, which drivers, such things.
Otherwise we can't help you. Did you perform a fresh installation - did you upgrade from an earlier edition ? What have you
modified ? You see, it can be "everything and nothing" ... Please provide as much comprehensive information as possible. :)

Regards,
Christian

I did a fresh installation in a Siemens IPC227E (this is a industrial PC, you can found the specifications in https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/us/Catalog/Product/6ES76478BB222BA1). I didn't changed anything after the installation, I only enabled the ssh server to connect via putty and installed a TightVnc server following red hats installation manual.

Federico, are you sure that the system doesn't reboot correctly ?
The problem might be related to Putty/TightVNC or, Windows. :)

Regards,
Christian

It looks to me that system is stuck while stopping a daemon or may be unable to unmount a file system. As Christian asked please provide more details. Also, to rule out if this is an issue with X system, you may boot the system into multi-user.target and then trigger a reboot and check. If this works properly then we could say that there is some dependency or X daemon at graphical.target which is causing the issue.

Check the default target being used by running the command : # systemctl get-default

If the above shows that it is running in graphical target, then run these commands to get into multi-user.target (non-graphical) mode: # systemctl isolate multi-user.target

( You may set text mode as the default start up mode by using the command : # systemctl set-default multi-user.target )

Once the system drops you into text console, trigger 'systemctl reboot' command check how it goes.

Hi Sadashiva.

I did as you suggested but sadly, the issue persisted.

So, that means the system becomes un-responsive or freezes when rebooting in non-graphical mode as well. You could run the command "journalctl --catalog --boot" to review current boot logs and check for errors/warnings noticed while system was rebooting.

You may also run through /var/log/messages and find out if there are any errors. You could add a custom message to '/var/log/messages' file and then trigger reboot, so that it would be easier to check messages. I normally trigger a custom message using the command logger as shown:

# logger before rebooting my system

which would add respective entry in '/var/log/messages' file. After this trigger the system reboot using command :

# systemctl reboot

So, once system is up, it would be easy for me to open up /var/log/message files using an editor (vi) and search for the exact string "before rebooting my system", and check messages afterwards to understand how did system reboot went through.

You may try using the command "# systemctl reboot --force" which may work since it skips the process of shutting down all units. As per the man page of systemctl:

-f, --force

When used with enable, overwrite any existing conflicting symlinks. 

When used with halt, poweroff, reboot or kexec, execute the selected operation without shutting down all units. However, all processes will be killed forcibly and all file systems are unmounted or remounted read-only. This is hence a drastic but relatively safe option to request an immediate reboot.

So, check if this works. Also, examine your '/var/log/messages' and boot messages as said before to get more details which may help you to fix/troubleshoot the issue. Let me know if this helps you.