RHEL6 cannot find Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop Subscription

Latest response

I just purchased "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop, Self-support" but cannot register RHEL6 with this license. However, the same license works for RHEL7. Can anyone help point out what is wrong here? Does Red Hat license only for for RHEL7 but not for RHEL6? Thanks!

Responses

Hi Zenduo Du,

How many subscriptions did you buy?

How many desktops did you install and in which order?

If you have 1 subscription, and installed RHEL 7 first and registered it, and RHEL 6 later, without un registration of RHEL 7, you run out of subscriptions.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi I have installed RHEL 7 on my desktop and would like to install openstack 14 trial version but need advice how to do that .
I am a beginner and tried to follow redhat openstack installation documentation but cannot understand the steps involved My aim is to install openstack 14 trial version on my desktop and then use GUI to create cloud infrastructure ( services) and try before deciding to buy the subscription

I am finding difficult to complete the installation because I am a beginner , I would appreciate if community member advice on 1. steps to install openstack on desktop 2, steps to install openstack director 3. cmd to launch GUI

thanks

Hi Zhenduo,

As Jan Gerrit already said ... vou can register only one system with one subscription. But why do you want to replace the "new"
RHEL 7 with the "old" RHEL 6 ? RHEL 6 will be supported for a much shorter time and RHEL 7 ships with many enhancements.
Anyway, in case you really want to do that, just execute the first set of commands on RHEL 7 and the second set on RHEL 6. :)

On RHEL 7 (before deleting the system) :

sudo subscription-manager remove --all
sudo subscription-manager unregister
sudo subscription-manager clean

On RHEL 6 (after installing the system) :

sudo subscription-manager register
sudo subscription-manager refresh
sudo subscription-manager attach --auto

Regards,
Christian

Hi Zhenduo, I completely agree with Christian. If you're looking to create a Linux server to do something you care about, load it with the most current survivable edition of Red Hat Linux which is currently RHEL 7.6. RHEL 6.10 is set for end of life in November of 2020, RHEL 7.6 (and above as it is released) will survive for June 2024.

If you are building a new-to-you system that previously didnt' exist, why not build it to the latest edition of RHEL 7? If you build with RHEL 6, it will go to end-of-life in November of 2020 and you'll just have to build it again, (or endure risking security issues and lack of support for some server you care about)...

Regards

RJ