Difference between desktop and workstation edition ?

Latest response
  1. What is actually the difference between red hat desktop and workstation (with workstation being alot more expensive than desktop) ?

https://www.redhat.com/en/store/red-hat-enterprise-linux-desktop-or-red-hat-enterprise-linux-workstation#?sku=RH0844913

1. And why would i consider on buying a self supported desktop or workstation when i can go with CentOS ?

Responses

Hi Jatin,

This knowledgebase article about the difference should answer your question : https://access.redhat.com/articles/911363
The main difference between CentOS and Red Hat Linux Enterprise is the support, CentOS is completely self-supported. :)

Regards,
Christian

Nice details !

So as i have my own build of 20 GB RAM i wont consider desktop as it only supports 16 GB, and SUSE offers unlimited RAM with their 50 dollar desktop plan.. I would consider CentOS 8 when it comes or else SLES desktop.

Hi Jatin,

Have you seen this offering ? Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Suite ... it is available for (only) US$ 99 ! :)

Regards,
Christian

That KB article isn't quite as clear (to me) as it should be - the key difference is that the "Client" or "Desktop" versions of RHEL don't have any development packages at all. It's not just the lack of access to RHSCL/DTS repositories, there are no development-related packages in the main repos either. "Workstation" has the missing dev. tools (this comes up all the time in academia - Desktop is basically useless for us).

CentOS doesn't make that distinction at all - the only version they make is "everything included" (they have a "minimal" install image, but that doesn't limit what packages can be installed later).

Hi James,

I agree, Desktop and Workstation are not the editions professional users would choose. I think
that Red Hat only offers them in order to provide a complete portfolio. Both are just a sub-set
of Server, which is what most customers prefer. CentOS on the other hand doesn't sell any of
these or other products, so it makes sense to offer one complete operating system edition. :)

Regards,
Christian

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation, Self-support and CentOS seems same to me, both are completely self supported both supports unlimited RAM.. I don't see any reason to spend 179 dollars per year the only thing I see is that CentOS is nearly 1 month late on releases.

It's absolutely up to you of course, Jatin ... and if you are an experienced user, and not running an enterprise, then dropping official Red Hat support might be a valid option for you. Otherwise spending some money "pays back". :)

Regards,
Christian

thank you Christian, for the knowledge :)

You're welcome, Jatin ! :)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Suite its ony for development use not for production use, so i might still consider CentOS, and secondly if this one is also a development only subscription and also the one which is available for free under red hat developers programme what is the difference between those two then ?

Hi Jatin,

The difference is that the free version is self-supported only and with the paid version you get official support. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hello Jatin, Hello Christian,

If you don't mind I would like to join this conversation to offer an additional view on this topic.

Though RHEL and CentOS are binary compatible they are two different distributions. We run RHEL in our data center and I've developed a Patchmanagement which depends on the metadata Red Hat offers in their repositories. This Patchmanagement would not work with CentOS in their repos because the necessary metadata are not provided there.

In RHEL for example you are able to install only security related updates by running yum update --security. In CentOS this would not work because there are no metadata telling yum whether a package belongs to a security errata or not.

On our production machines we run RHEL with standard subscription. On my dev/testing machines I run RHEL with a developer subscription to test and develop new ideas before something make it to quality or production stage. To be able to use the same repos as in production is an advantage. The developer subscription comes with all the repos available for RHEL. So I know exactly which subscription or add-on I have to buy for a production system.

Running a Red Hat desktop/workstation subscription with self-support might come in handy when you need additional support. You could buy a subscription with enterprise support without the need for reinstalling your machine. Just switch subscriptions and open a service request.

If you would just like to run a private desktop environment and have no need for support, you could go with CentOS as well for sure. It is an enterprise distribution, too. But it is no RHEL. ;-)

Merry Christmas Joerg

Hi Jörg,

Thank you very much for this great, comprehensive explanation ... awesome ... That nails it to the point. :)

Regards,
Christian

Jatin, it would be nice to mark this post from Jörg as "Best Response", so that other users who are having
the same or a similar question can find the explanation at once when they open this thread. Thank you ! :)
It is just a suggestion, you can choose something else if you think it is more useful - or not any post at all.

Regards,
Christian

That was helpful indeed :)

Thank you Jatin, for having followed my suggestion ... I'm glad that you find Jörg's explanation to be helpful too. :)

Regards,
Christian