Artifactory as RHEL Repo

Latest response

I'm trying to configure Artifactory so that it can use the rhel cdn servers as remote repositories as I do not want all my servers communicating directly. Where do I find the certificates required to connect to the RHEL update servers? My servers are hosted in AWS so automatically have all the required certs etc to communicate directly.

Responses

I'll answer my own question, as I've just found the relevant AWS doc.. Q: If I launch Red Hat Enterprise Linux on Amazon EC2 instances in an Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), how do I access the Red Hat Update Infrastructure (RHUI)?

All on-demand Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Amazon Machine Images (AMIs) are configured to utilize the Red Hat Update Infrastructure (RHUI) in AWS. If in a VPC, Amazon EC2 RHEL instances will need to access RHUI in EC2 either through the VPC Internet Gateway, through an attached Virtual IP, or through a VPN or Direct Connect connection to a data center that routes the update request through the general internet to the RHUI servers.

If you would rather get updates from an on-premises update repository, like Red Hat Network Satellite, then you will need to have an account with Red Hat and purchase entitlements to their Cloud Access AMIs through this license mobility program. These entitlements come in the form of the traditional annual subscriptions. Once deployed using the Cloud Access AMIs, de-register your instance and re-register to your on-premises update infrastructure. Note, however, that in this set up you will incur additional network charges for data transfer out of AWS. Avoiding these network charges is one of the benefits of using the in cloud Red Hat Update Infrastructure. Steps to de-register and re-register:

Edit the /etc/yum.repos.d/redhat-rhui-client-config.repo and change 'enabled=1' to 'enabled=0’ Edit the /etc/yum.repos.d/redhat-rhui.repo and change 'enabled=1' to 'enabled=0’ for all repository entries Edit /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/rhnplugin.conf and change 'enabled=0' to 'enabled=1' RHN register with rhn_register or rhnreg_ks Q: Is it possible to migrate existing Red Hat Enterprise Linux images to AWS?

Yes. Red Hat Cloud Access customers can now use VM Import/Export to migrate 64-bit Linux VMs from their VMware, Hyper-V, or Citrix Xen environments to Amazon EC2. For detail on supported instance types and RHEL versions, visit the VM Import User Guide, and the FAQ page.

Hi Jonathan, can you please share the steps that you used to configure RHEL repository from artifactory? what url did you use on artifactory and how to test it?

Hi,

Artifactory repos are easy to set up on RHEL servers.

Here is a simple example:

[Artifactory]
name=My Artifactory Repository
baseurl=https://artifactory.myorg.org/artifactory/myrpm-repo
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
username=some_art_user
password=artifactory_user_API_key

I use something similar all the time. Note that the password is Artifactory API key for the user (not real password)...

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

HI Dusan, Thank you for your response. i was able to configure and setup the proxy through artifactory but can we create local repo from this proxy in artifactory so it acts as local repo and we can define which packages the vms can use? like we sync the repo monthly and use that until next sync next month?

Hi Sushil,

That is very easy.

Here is a simple recipe for RHEL 8 (syntax for reposync is different in various major RHEL releases):

$ sudo mkdir /opt/MYREPO

$ sudo reposync -p /opt/MYREPO --download-metadata --repo=Artifactory

Then, you just set up a new local repository in /etc/yum.repos.d, as per standard configuration.

Incomplete example in, say, /etc/yum.repos.d/myrepo.repo:

[localrepo]
name = Dusan Repo 
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1
baseurl=file:///opt/MYREPO/Artifactory
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/...
sslverify = 1
metadata_expire = 1
enabled_metadata = 0

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

Hi Dusan,

Thank you for the quick response. i am aware of this process for local repo. i was just checking if Artifactory has inbuilt feature like that of satellite. if not , i will work with the reposycn which we already are doing.