Running VIM 8 at RHEL

Latest response

The vim on RHEL 7.6 is 8 years old. Since that time, there were at least two major vim releases: 8.0 and 8.1.

When RH plan to upgrade vim? I somehow assumed that newly released 7.6 comes with upgrade.

Is there any other suggested method to use newer vim than get it from the GitHub and build it by my own?

Thank you,
Juraj

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.6 (Maipo)
$ vim --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Sep 6 2017 07:41:33)

Responses

Hello Juraj,

Typically Red Hat Enterprise Linux moves to new versions of software at major Red Hat Enterprise Linux release. Red Hat does backport fixes and features.

Is there some feature or fix that you need?

Hello Marc, There is a native package manager since ver. 8 in vim which replaces set of Budle, Vudle, Pathogen managers. I use this feature to maintain vim scripts via this newly added feature on other platforms (Fedora, Windows). I found it useful to have the same vim setup at all platforms including RHEL.

So it's "nice to have" type feature for me.

So, RHEL8 will upgrade to vim8 ? When that is planned to be released?

Thank you, Juraj

Juraj--

Red Hat has not announced any dates for RHEL 8.0 (beta or GA) - but it is publicly known the RHEL 8.0 Alpha exists (that version can be selected when you open a support case). Given that alpha testing has started, the best we can plan for is a beta release "some time soon", and final 8.0 release about 6 months later (guessing based on RHEL 7.0 having taken 6 months from beta release to final GA release).

It is likely that RHEL 8 will be based on either Fedora 28 or Fedora 29, both of which include vim 8.1.x. Fedora 28 and 29 also support a feature called "modularity", which allows certain packages on the system to be replaced with different major versions (not just the security/bugfix patches Red Hat has traditionally released in the past) - so if "vim 9.0" comes out in two years, you might not have to wait for RHEL 9.0 to install it.

Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.