while trying to dualboot redhat7.6.0 and windows

Latest response

I have used some linux distros like ubuntu debian mint usually and usually they would have grub loaded and option to boot with windows that was not the case here saw some guides but maybe i am making a stupid mistake somewhere can i get some guidance from here this is my first time using fedora

Responses

Hi Manan,

Your title of this thread you started says you're interested in dual booting RHEL 7.6 and Windows (most likely 10).

However I get the idea from the body of your post that you might be interested in a guide to mix Fedora workstation version 29 and perhaps dual booting with Fedora 29 and perhaps Windows 10? (this link is for fedora 27, but it might work) ?

Do you wish to use Red Hat 7.6 and some form of Windows? (from your title of this thread) .... or ... Do you wish to use Fedora and dual boot with some form of Windows? (from the body of your paragraph)

Let us know, someone ought to help,

Regards

RJ

Hi Manan,

Although you say "my first time using fedora", I assume that you've installed RHEL 7.6 and, I also assume that you installed it on a machine with EFI based BIOS, on which you have installed Windows 10 as well. Please check with sudo vi /etc/default/grub that GRUB_TIMEOUT= is set to a higher value than 0 and if it's not, then change to let's say 5. To do it press "i", make the change, press "Esc" and then ":wq" (i switches to insert mode, Esc switches back and :wq saves the change you've made and closes the file).

The next step is to update the GRUB configuration - execute sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/redhat/grub.cfg. Now reboot the system and GRUB should appear with the optional entry to boot Windows. Even if the entry doesn't exist, you can boot to BIOS and boot Windows from there, because every system has its own boot loader. You can check which boot loaders are available with sudo efibootmgr -v. Hope I could explain it understandable enough and in case not, just feel free to ask back. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Manan, it's me again - what just came to my mind : Are you sure that Windows is (still) installed ? I'm asking because when you selected "Automatically configure partitioning" instead of "I will configure partitioning" during the installation preparing process
in the Anaconda installer - it would mean that you wiped Windows and used the whole disk for RHEL (or fedora ?) In case you did
that, you'll have to start from scratch : first install Windows and then RHEL, but this time choose "I will configure partitioning". :)

Regards,
Christian

Hey thanks for help before and this is absolutely my bad to not state i manually configured and kept windows i just cant boot into it even when i go to bios and give windows BOOT MANAGER priority it still wont boot it goes to redhat version of boot menu which does not show windows

Again absolutely my fault for not mentioning this thanks for all your help

You're welcome, Manan ! Can you please provide us with the output from sudo efibootmgr -v ? Thank you. :)

Regards,
Christian

hey i did second step like you said with a proper install and it works now thanks a lot buddy and sorry for this late reply was busy

Hey Manan, that's great news ! I'm glad that we could resolve your problem. Now enjoy RHEL ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.