How to install scl on RHEL 7 workstation ?

Latest response

I'm using RHEL 7 (workstation ) for the first time and having a heck of a time installing python3. I found numerous articles on how to do this : (here's one)

https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/08/13/install-python3-rhel/

[ partial snippet ]

$ su -

subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-optional-rpms \

--enable rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms

yum -y install @development

yum -y install rh-python36

yum -y install rh-python36-numpy \

rh-python36-scipy \
rh-python36-python-tools \
rh-python36-python-six

Since I'm using desktop (not server ) I assume I need to change -server- to desktop.

I can't seem to find equivalent for :
--enable rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms

This works:

subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-desktop-optional-rpms

Repository 'rhel-7-desktop-optional-rpms' is enabled for this system.

This doesn't: (note I'm trying server and desktop )

subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms

Error: 'rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms' does not match a valid repository ID. Use "subscription-manager repos --list" to see valid repositories.

subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-desktop-rhscl-7-rpms

Error: 'rhel-desktop-rhscl-7-rpms' does not match a valid repository ID. Use "subscription-manager repos --list" to see valid repositories.

subscription-manager repos --list | grep scl

< returns nothing >

Could someone help me understand why rhscl is not found in subscription manager?

What is the preferred way to install python3 on RHEL 7 Desktop (workstation) ?

Responses

sorry for the big fonts. Not sure why the post did that.

Hi Gregory,

Unfortunately Red Hat Software Collections are not available for the Workstation edition. Can you attach a valid Server
subscription ? If you didn't purchase a server subscription - please check out the free no-cost developer subscription. :)

Regards,
Christian

Check this article. According to this Red Hat Software Collections are available for Red Hat Enterprise Workstation, but it may be necessary to make special request for it.

I was able to access a beta version for Red Hat Software Collections for my workstation subscription without any extra action to take.

How is that you get this feature for free licences and don't have it for a paid licence? It makes no sense at all!!! I'm having same roadblock installing python 3. What is the matter that you don't update the repos so we, the actual customers who are paying a licence, get that benefit from RHEL repos?

BTW... I did try to attach my RHEL Server subscription to my workstation but I also can't do that because RHEL Workstation and RHEL Server versions are not compatible, so I would need to reinstall RHEL Server and reconfigure my machine. What the hell!!!

Hi Jose,

That's not quite fair ... you forget one thing, the "free" license is NOT allowed to be used in a
production environment, it is meant to be used for development purpose exclusively. And if
you need packages from the server repositories, it would have been a good idea to take that
into consideration before deciding which RHEL edition to purchase and use. Correct, Jose ?

Cheers :)
Christian

If I use Centos 7, I don't have any problem. https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-install-python-3-on-centos-7/

Trying to figure out how to do the same thing RHEL 7 Desktop

Hi Gregory,

You cannot compare CentOS with RHEL, when it comes to the subscription model.
On RHEL you need to attach a valid Server subscription to make use of RHSCL ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks Christian (for both responses). I didn't purchase server subscription so will checkout the developer subscription. Thanks so much

You're welcome, Gregory ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi,

It seems you would like to use the workstation for Machine Learning.

Why do not you try to install Anaconda with Python 3.7 and many modules for Machine Learning:

https://www.anaconda.com/download/

I am running it at home on my CentOS 7.5 servers and at work on RHEL 7.5.

It is as simple as this:

./Anaconda3-5.3.0-Linux-x86_64.sh 

You can then be very creative how to run it, even in tight environments:

$ /usr/local/anaconda3/bin/jupyter notebook --port 8899 

or

$ /usr/local/anaconda3/bin/ipython notebook --ip='*'

Whilst I am at it, I strongly recommend installing a not-well-known module pandas_profile. I learned about it recently too. Very useful (you need direct Internet access or via web proxy):

# pip install pandas_profiling                         

or

# conda install -c anaconda pandas-profiling

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

This is the number one hit on google for "rhel install scl"