Uninstall

Latest response

I set up Rhel v5.5 on my laptop for studies certifications and some test labs.
Today i worked on make partition with command parted , and i make some mistake so i think i delete the Os partition table.
I can't start RHEL anymore even with the Original CD for boot , i try to set up Windows OS via usb not possible same for RHEL (i have also original CD)
I simply want to format my laptop and set up a new version of REDHAT
Now i write the error message;
- Volume group "VolGroupp"not found
Unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)
mount: could not find filesystem ' /dev/root'
setuproot:moving /dev failed:No such file or directory
setuproot:error mounting /proc:No such file or directory
setuproot:error mounting /sys:No such file or directory
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!
kernel alive

Responses

My Laptop is a sony Vaio VPCS115EC

Hi Yewutu (or Jean-Steve ?),

Download the GParted ISO file, create a bootable medium, boot from that medium and once you're on the 'Live Desktop', the
GParted (GUI) application starts automatically - create a new partition table, then create a new empty partition and format it
with ext4. Shut down the PC and insert the RHEL installation medium, boot from it and start the installation of the system. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thank you Christian it work perfect solutions , good job

You're welcome, Yewutu ! I'm glad that it worked for you and that you could achieve what you wanted. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Yewutu,

I just responded to a thread from another member about (still) using RHEL 5, and remembered your post.
What I forgot to say : Please don't install RHEL 5.5 - it is not supported anymore and hence a security risk.
Better install the latest stable point release of RHEL 7, which currently is the 7.5 edition. :)

Regards,
Christian

I had a thought. If we delete the all partition then all disk space will be unallocated. Then we can load RHEL and it will automatically create partition, then option is better? {need your advice on this}. I thought because we need to create home partion, OS partion, swap partition (very tedious task for beginner)

Hi Sayed,

That would not be sufficient in this specific case of Yewutu's problem. Without the described problem, yes. :)

Regards,
Christian

Yewutu Jean-Steve Atindehou and anyone else landing here at this discussion...

This specific discussion was made in 2018. RHEL 5.x is no longer supported. RHEL 6.10 is supported until November of 2020. Please highly consider using RHEL 7.x or RHEL 8.x since using an unsupported edition of RHEL leaves you exposed to quite a number of security issues

Regards

RJ

Hi RJ,

Thanks for pointing this out. Although the problem Yewutu had can occur on newer RHEL editions as well. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks Christian, true point. My hope is that people don't use non-supported editions of RHEL.

Regards

RJ

That is my hope too, RJ ... but I think (unfortunately) we'll have to convince people over and over again. :)

Regards,
Christian