startup RHEL 7 in GUI

Latest response

Hi
I install RHEL 7.5 . By the way, I startup on text user interface.
I want to know a way to install and startup on Graphical User Interface?

Thanks
Francis SZE

Responses

Hi,

Check if you've gnome packages installed:

#rpm -qa|grep gnome-desktop

If the system installed in text mode then you would not get to see any gnome or X related packages installed, if that is the case then you could run the command

#yum groupinstall "Server with GUI" 

to get all X window and related packages installed. After this you could change the default target by running the command:

#systemctl set-default graphical.target

#systemctl get-default <----- to verify the default target

Once done, you could boot into graphical target by running the command:

#systemctl isolate graphical.target

That's all.

Hi Francis,

Everything that Sadashiva nicely explained can be done automatically when you select "Server with GUI" from the Anaconda
installer during the initial installation process. Thought I'd add this information in case you want to start over from scratch. :)

Regards,
Christian

Sorry it did not help , following this set of statements , look like there are other errors as well

To the original poster Francis SZE - or also to Vijay Dcosta,

Thanks for posting here, sorry you're still sorting this out. Just a few questions....

• When you log into the system, make sure to enter the root account.

• When you are in the root account, try these commands below and also the commands listed by Sadashiva Murthy above and let us know the output:

The significance of this command is to determine if your system is 1) registered and 2) able to reach Red Hat's servers.

NOTE You'll need to make sure that specific computer is on the network first.

[root@yoursystem] # subscription-manager status
Overall Status: Current

Your output might vary slightly, but the command above subscription-manager status should result with Current at minimum.

The significance of this next command is to see if you have repositories assigned to your system.

[root@yoursystem] # yum repolist

This last command yum repolist ought to result in a list of repositories assigned to your system. If the output here is questionable, let us know. If there are not repositories attached, look at that link I posted above in this post.

NOTE Make sure you are logged in as root when you perform the commands my friends above recommended.

If the errors persist, can you copy/paste here? Please keep in mind that without your details of errors, it will make it difficult for us to respond with viable suggestions. Act like we really need you to be our eyes in this matter and let us know the specific errors etc.

Regards

RJ