Can RHEL7 use GLIBCXX_3.4.21 and CXXABI_1.3.9 or newer?

Latest response

Dear community

I am trying to install some software on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4 (Maipo), and required gcc>4.9 or newer, and GLIBCXX_3.4.21 and CXXABI_1.3.9.

All the new software I use (bioinformatics) come asking for these... And the gcc and libstdc++.so.6 installed in REHL 7 does not work anymore (even after update).

Is there any way to get those in the system?

Thank you very much,

Leo

Responses

Did you get a response or resolution to your question? I'm having a similar issue finding GLIBCXX_3.4.20

In Software Collections and Developer Toolset add-ons, we supply a newer version of gcc and C++ headers which meet the devel API.

However I couldn't see anywhere we supply the OS C++ libraries, so it doesn't look like such a thing will run on EL7, only compile.

You should open a support case to confirm that with our tools team. Compiler ABIs aren't my area of expertise so I may be wrong about the above.

Hi all

Actually it is supplied, at least with my subscription - I installed it! You would need to enable the corresponding develtoolset (apologies but I am away from work and cannot connect now) and install it. If you are still missing the GLIBCXX_3.4.21 and CXXABI_1.3.9, you can download it from GNU, and copy them in the same folder you have the old GLIBCXX and CXXABI...

I made a small document with the steps, but I cannot find it now - apologies. I will try to find it tomorrow.

Hi, Thanks for your reply and thanks for going through your notes. It's interesting you mention the use of devtoolset. I was compiling the package using devtoolset-7 and rh-python36 from SCL so I'd be curious if you were using the same one.

I might try the direct download from GNU and see if that works as a stop gap measure.

Cheers.

1 year later and Red Hat support tells me "there is no way of running applications requiring the unavailable versions of CXXABI and GLIBCXX with the most recent devtoolset."

One of the possible solutions for this is an unfavourable one which is upgrading to RHEL 8 from 7 because it come pre-built with it, please refer to this: Red Hat Customer Portal: How to verify which version of GLIBCXX and CXXABI strings are available with which version of libstdc++?