What happened with Knowledgebase site

Latest response

Hi,

All of a sudden, from this week, I cannot see link to Knowledgebase articless unless I use some key search.

I loved Knowledgebase in its original form because;

a) I could change the option to search by date, or relevance, and so on.

b) I could browse through articles at will.

In fact, as part of my daily job routine, I normally go through Red Hat Knowledgebase and collect new tricks of the trade.

Does anyone else have the same experience this week?

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

Responses

Hi Dusan,

I too couldn't find any apparent link from the front page or the categories (drop-down menus) of access.redhat.com. That being said, I did happen to have this in my own bookmarks https://access.redhat.com/knowledgebase and that seems to be the front page to the Red Hat Knowledgebase.

Thanks for the tip, RJ ! :)

Hi,

Many thanks for a quick response.

Yes, it is worth keeping that URL.

It is not the best option though. The new link has three main areas:

Recent Content Featured Content Recent Comments

... and I did not find the way to sort articles by date.

For example, the top articles in Featured Content go back to 2012. Normally, I start by looking at latest articles and go backwards in time.

Maybe somebody from Red Hat could comment for all of us?

Regards and thanks again,

Hi Dusan,

I agree with your request, I'm doing exactly the same : start looking at the newest article and go backwards. :)

Regards,
Christian

Dusan, I've sent a note to a Red-Hatter I know, let's see how it goes, may not be an immediate response.

Regards,

-RJ

Thank you, RJ ! :)

Thanks for the feedback on this folks, I'll look into it and get back to you.

David, could you please clarify the situation? btw I would warn you about "I'll look into it and get back to you", seem it is dangerous. I saw many times when people never returned back after this statement.

Hi Vasily,

:) You do not know who you are talking to. David is one of the Red Hatter responsible for the Discussion Forum :)

If it takes a long time for him to reply, it means he still has not found a solution.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

I've cynically used joke to pay extra attention of Red Hat to the problem, and hope it helps. yes, we're waiting patiently for a solution...

Hi Jan Gerrit,

To make it even more specific : David is an administrator of this community and if I'm not wrong, he is the leading manager of that thingy. :) Also, as far as I know him, he will do his best to help getting the problem solved, of course all depends on the developer and engineering teams in the "back office". :)

Cheers :)
Christian

Thanks for the vote of confidence there Jan Gerrit! I am indeed still following up on this. I just had a quick discussion with JP Sherman, our Search expert here for the Portal. He's going to be dropping by the thread shortly to explain some of the recent changes. Hopefully we'll have a solution in place that will suit the habits and needs of as many users as possible.

Thanks to RJ and Red Hat for trying to help.

The power of sharing and helping each other is the magic of our success.

Regards from very rainly Sydney "down-under",

"... and I did not find the way to sort articles by date." I still waiting for some solution. Could somebody provide any hints?

There is always a possibility to open a support case for the product Customer Portal.

CASE 02072004 was submitted

Hi Vasily,

I share your sentiment.

This feature, that is now missing, changed my behavior is such a way that I do not log into Red Hat customer portal daily any longer, which is a pity.

My daily routine, typically starting at around 06:30 hours each morning, was to go to Red Hat portal, check Knowledgebase articles, check Discussions forums, and only then continue with the rest of my working day before I get consumed by meetings, and other duties.

Knowledgebase was a high-value feature that I used every day in the past. Not any more as it is seemingly not possible to sort it by date.

Regards,

Dear Dusan, thank you for great explanation, however unfortunately it does not fit me, I use RH knowledgebase irregularly which week-or-more pauses. As workaround I use now few searches on exact kernel version: For example search on last released RHEL7 kernel "kernel-3.10.0-693.21.1.el7" gives me now only 9 adequate articles. Search "kernel-3.10.0-693*.el7" gives few dozens articles about kernel issues on last RHEL7 major update. Search "kernel-2.6.32-696.23.1.el6" shows known issues on last released RHEL6 kernel and so on. It isn't convenient but it's better than nothing. I hope this tip will be useful to someone else and still waiting for repair/implementation sort of KB articles by date.

There is always a possibility to open a support case for the product Customer Portal.

Everything is still quite new, so I think we should give the responsible teams some time to let them getting things settled properly. :)

Regards,
Christian

I'd like to start off with three things. 1: I'm the person responsible for improving search and findability in the Customer Portal. I do this through changing technology & architecture, influencing content strategy & working with UI/UX to make Portal Search cleaner and more intuitive. 2: Thank you for your feedback on how the changes to the UI/UX affected your search behavior. That feedback, both positive and negative, is critical context that puts a human focus to the raw numbers that I generally work with. 3: I'm rarely on our forums, but if you have a question, comment or critique, the fastest way to get a hold of me is on twitter (@jpsherman)

So, here was the problem we wanted to solve. We noticed that less than 2% of customers visited what we called the "Browse" page. This was the page with all the facets and products. There was another issue with the browse page that irritated a lot of people...

So, if you search for "bikes" on Google, then click to images, news or the videos tab, the search query stayed with you and the results came up based off of the initial query. This didn't happen with our search. A user would type "jboss business rules management" in our "search" page, then sometimes they'd click to the "browse" page. When the user went to the browse page, the query they'd previously entered didn't carry over. This forced you to re-enter the query. Once that was done however, there was a robust system that would allow you to filter by product, content type (solutions, documentation, etc) or recency.

Ultimately, we thought it was a great feature that few people saw. We wanted to solve the issue of keeping the query continuous while providing the user an in-line design to select facets to further refine that query - all without leaving the SERP (search engine results page) .

So, we built a faceting system that had a bit more intelligence to it. - we placed that new facet system below the search entry box so that our customers would immediately be introduced to it. - we made that new faceting system contextual so that it would try to best recognize the product see: https://access.redhat.com/search/#/?q=rhel https://access.redhat.com/search/#/?q=satellite - notice how the facets recognize the product and change according to the query.

Every facet that existed in the "browse" page is now a part of the facet on the SERP. So, rather than having to go the browse page, you can now facet and filter on the same page the results show up.

Now - some data. We measure the following information: - how many searches are performed - what queries people use - clicks on natural, facets, recommended content & the knowledge graph. - the content that people click on associated with a keyword This allows us to measure how actual humans react to these changes. I can share that since these changes have been made, more people are finding content that they find valuable enough to click on. More than 20% of our users are faceting search with the inline facets. More people are clicking on recommended results & the knowledge graph. Overall, the quantitative measurements we have show that more people are finding what they're looking for. Of course, not all people are - so there's still a lot more work to do, but as incremental progress goes, the new search UI has improved findability.

One thing that we didn't anticipate was the filter for recency. We had a big debate on whether to keep that feature in the new search UI - ultimately we decided against it because it was used so infrequently. However, for the people who did use it, they found it to be critical to their search. We collected feedback from customers and decided to put that facet back into search. In this case, it was irrelevant to how many people used it - when they needed it, they needed it. So it's back, based on your responses.

So, while the numbers I look at tell me a story, I want to reiterate that my primary goal is to optimize search for the people who use it first. I welcome all ideas, critiques and even results that don't look right. Sometimes, I'll be able to do something about it immediately, other times, it'll be the spark to a longer term project. I hope that this was helpful - I'll be monitoring this thread to respond to questions or comments.. or you can ping me on twitter @jpsherman

Hi JP ! :)

Thank you very much for your comprehensive information. The new search functionality improvements are much appreciated, but one thing : Why not provide the knowledgebase articles additionally the way they were provided before ? Many of us, me included, like to check regularly for new and updated solutions. Would be nice to have it back.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian! You're very welcome, I do tend to be comprehensive... I've never been accused of the crime of being concise ;)

Your feedback is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. I have a few questions to clarify the scope of this idea: would you prefer some feature that marks up ALL new or updated solutions - or - would you prefer some notification of updates for knowledge content that you've visited or commented on. From a UX perspective, I want to bias towards valuable signals vs. notification noise.

for example: you could select a product that you want to watch - or - there could be some recognition of the product you have. Then, some sort of passive signal or notification could be added to the portal that lets you know that there are (7) new articles & (10) updates to content.

Or, would you prefer some sort of manual filtering similar to what was on the browse page. My thought is that this may not be a solution that search could solve, but absolutely something that UX & findability could solve. Again, thank you for your response.

Hi JP ! :)

You're welcome - I'm glad when I can contribute something useful which may help to improve the Customer portal experience. I tend to keep things as simple as possible, so here is my suggestion :

Basic default view - ALL (new and updated articles / solutions) - sorted by newest to oldest (most relevant can be dropped in my opinion, because importance and relevance is different for users).

Two filter sections - one section that lets you select between new and updated articles / solutions
and one section that lets you select from the related product (e.g. RHEL / Satellite etc.) groups.

Regards,
Christian

Thanks for clarifying that - while I don't have any plans to make a "sortable" content feed replace the primary "search" feature, I've started conversations with some of our content & design people to see if we can support a "sorting" method as well as a "search" method. It's too soon to start making any commitments here, but the idea has support. I'll be referring back to our conversation to make sure we know what features will assist multiple types of findability behavior. Regards, JP

Thank you for the update, JP ! I very much appreciate your commitment and your efforts. :)

Regards,
Christian

Today I found that the sort function has come back and it seems that it works correctly now, at least, well enough for me. Many thanks to all involved people!

Happy to confirm Vasily's finding.

I reported the issue on 23 of February and today, 23 April, it looks like we have the Knowledgebase sort function back again.

I think this is good news.

I now only have to check what really happened in Knowledgebase forum for the last two months :)

Best wishes and thanks to all involved.

It was really a community effort with positive outcome for all.