Unable to Upgrade System Due to "expect" Package Failure

Latest response

Hi,
I am trying to figure out why the expect package keeps failing, or even what's pulling it in. At this point, the system is subscribed as expected, yet yum fails with a message of "403 Forbidden" when trying to download it over the past week, at least.

Transaction Summary
=======================================================================================================================
Install   1 Package  (+1 Dependent package)
Upgrade  10 Packages

Total size: 103 M
Total download size: 475 k
Downloading packages:
No Presto metadata available for rhel-7-server-beta-rpms
expect-5.45-14.el7_1.x86_64.rp FAILED                                          
https://cdn.redhat.com/content/beta/rhel/server/7/x86_64/os/Packages/expect-5.45-14.el7_1.x86_64.rpm: [Errno 14] HTTPS Error 403 - Forbidden
Trying other mirror.
(1/2): insights-client-3.0.2-2.el7.noarch.rpm                                                   | 212 kB  00:00:00     

Error downloading packages:
  expect-5.45-14.el7_1.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Attempts to skip the failing package with --skip-broken have no effect.
Any help is greatly appreciated and sorely needed.

Thank you

AMEL HODZIC's picture

Responses

As far as I can tell, the repo that's being denied is the main RHEL repo (or rhel-beta). Here's a list of the enabled repos on the affected system:

subscription-manager repos --list-enabled |grep 'Repo ID'
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-extras-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-server-rhscl-7-beta-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-devtools-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-eus-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-beta-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-ha-for-rhel-7-server-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-rt-beta-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-thirdparty-oracle-java-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-fastrack-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-dotnet-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-optional-fastrack-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-extras-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-optional-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-insights-3-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-server-rhscl-7-beta-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-openstack-11-tools-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-insights-3-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-server-rhscl-7-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-fastrack-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-ha-for-rhel-7-server-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-supplementary-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-rt-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-openstack-11-tools-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-optional-fastrack-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-supplementary-source-rpms
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-optional-beta-rpms

In an effort to resolve this issue, I've added the source-rpm repos, which are of no consequence as a source of the problem nor to its solution.

Bug1435654 appears to be the only bug with the expect Component. However, that was started in March, 2017 and it primarily deals with a missing man-page for "tknewsbiff". Hmm...I guess links to bugzilla are not internal. The full link is here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1435654

Well, holiday season is here, so it may take a while to get any response, if at all. In the meantime, I've manually downloaded the package from rhel-downloads page. This allowed me to upgrade the rest of the packages on the system. I'm not quite sure what that means for the foreseeable future, with regards to the system's stability or status, though; but, it'll have to do for now.

yum check-update; yum upgrade
Loaded plugins: changelog, langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
rhel-7-server-rpms                                                                                                                                                                                                      | 3.5 kB  00:00:00     
https://cdn.redhat.com/content/beta/rhel/server/7/x86_64/rt/os/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTPS Error 403 - Forbidden
Trying other mirror.
To address this issue please refer to the below knowledge base article

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/69319

If above article doesn't help to resolve this issue please open a ticket with Red Hat Support.

I've tried to follow the steps in the above-referenced article, but the problem persists. This is a Self-Support subscription, as far as I can tell; therefore, creating a Support ticket may not prove to be effective, or even possible.

The previous message is trivial, as it relates to the realtime-beta repo only. The initial problem reported here is still of concern, however.

Was this helpful?

We appreciate your feedback. Leave a comment if you would like to provide more detail.
It looks like we have some work to do. Leave a comment to let us know how we could improve.
Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.