Solution: specific conditions after registering RHEL 6.9 system to a Satellite 6.2.x server, can not perform yum actions

Latest response

I'm posting this for specific conditions for RHEL 6.9 servers. After registering them to my satellite 6.2.11 server, some of my systems could not perform yum operations. For my own circumstances, my solution that fixed the issue I had is below.

RHEL 6.9 servers
Disconnected network, with Satellite 6.2.11 on rhel 7.current
Successful creation of content views for RHEL6 server
Successful creation of activation key properly ascribing channels to content view.
Successful assignment of entitlements (fully entitled)
Products show properly the correct channels are enabled, and the unneeded channels are disabled.

A few of my own systems after successful registration to my satellite server would not perform yum operations, even though they would not perform any yum operations. I scoured google, Red Hat and more.

I finally tried "subscription-manager config" command and noted the following difference between the systems that did and did not work:
The systems that DID work had "manage_repos = 1" in the /etc/rhsm/rhsm.conf file. The ones that DID NOT work had a "0" instead of a "1".

As soon as I changed the "0" to a "1", yum operations worked again (perhaps with subscription-manager refresh and yum clean all;yum repolist)

Now will this cure every instance of yum not working after registering to a satellite? no. It did however assist in the very specific set of circumstances I had (rhsm.conf file had manage_repos =1 to make it function properly).

Responses