How to create a new user (other than admin) in RHV-M GUI to access api?

Latest response

Hi,
I have deployed RHV 4.1 in my lab. Now, I want to create a user (other than existing admin user) to access RHV-M GUI as well as api. Please explain me how to do this.

Thanks.

Nani Babu Mutte's picture

Responses

Go to the admin portal of your RHV instance (https://RHVM_FQDN/ovirt-engine/webadmin/), select tab "Users" and click the "Add" link.

I think it not correct...

In this case... this will help.

[USERS AND ROLES] (https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.1/html/administration_guide/chap-users_and_roles)

use ''ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool'' command

[root@rhv4-m ~]# ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool user add user1 --attribute=firstName=user1
adding user user1...
user added successfully
Note: by default created user cannot log in. see:
/usr/bin/ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool user password-reset --help.

and password reset

[root@rhv4-m ~]# ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool user password-reset user1 --password=pass:redhat
updating user user1...
user updated successfully

now you can login RHV-M GUI interface.

You have answered the question on how to create a user via the the command line. The original question is how to create a user in (via) the RHV-M Gui.

yes. you right. but that GUI function can't add a new internal user.

Hello Siem

I believe KangWoo Lee is correct. As far as I know it's a 2 step procedure. At least this is how I did it. We needed an internal user for virt-who.

ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool user add virt-who --attribute=description='Virt-who user for Satellite' --attribute=firstName=virt-who

Set password and 'valid to' (just an example)

ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool user password-reset virt-who --password-valid-to="2016-01-22 23:30:53Z"

Check the newly added account

ovirt-aaa-jdbc-tool user show virt-who

After this procedure I added the user via the WEB UI and gave role accordingly to function. In this case ReadOnlyAdmin.

I should have mentioned that my answer requires a RHV-M connected to AD/Kerberos. In that case it is a single step procedure. When your RHV-M is not connected to AD or you require an internal user, you indeed first need to create an internal user.

Was this helpful?

We appreciate your feedback. Leave a comment if you would like to provide more detail.
It looks like we have some work to do. Leave a comment to let us know how we could improve.
Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.