How to upgrade from RHEL 7.2 to 7.3 and not up to 7.4

Latest response

I have RHEL 7.2 running on an Intel Xeon and a device driver for a tape library that currently supports RHEL 7.2. Another device driver level exists for RHEL 7.3. The device driver support for RHEL 7.4 is not yet available but I want to go to RHEL 7.3 now.
The question is: How can I go from RHEL 7.2 to 7.3 today and not beyond, that is to say not up to 7.4 which is already available right now?
I do not see such capabiity by using yum update. It provides updates to the latest level by default, 7.4, hence the problem.
Is there a mean to have an ISO of RHEL at 7.3 that can be used as repository for 7.3? Or can I connect to a repository at 7.3?
Any hints are quite welcome. Thank you

Responses

Download the 7.3 ISO and mount in on your system. Create an repo entry in /etc/yum.repos.d use baseurl=file:///path/to/mounted/iso.

As per the man page of 'subscription-manager':

--release=VERSION
              Shortcut for "release --set=VERSION"

RELEASE OPTIONS
       The  release  command  sets a sticky OS version to use when installing or updating packages. This sets a preference for the minor version of the OS, such as
       6.2 or 6.3. This can prevent unplanned or unsupported operating system version upgrades when an IT environment must maintain a certified configuration.

--list Lists the available OS versions. If a release preference is not set, then there is a message saying it is not set.

--set=RELEASE
              Sets the minor (Y-stream) release version to use, such as 6.3.

--unset
              Removes any previously set release version preference.

Using these options you could lock minor release version to get updated:

subscription-manager release --set=7.3

After this run the yum update and check if that works. You could simply try running "yum update redhat-release-server" (don't update) and see if it is listing 7.3 release package.

You might also require to disable "rhnplugin" https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3040971

Otherwise, you may set packages versions to which you wish to get updated to in the file /etc/yum/plugins.d/versionlock.list, and enable 'versionlock' plugin in /etc/yum/repos.d/versionlock.conf, later run yum update on those packages which would gets updated as listed in locked list. https://access.redhat.com/solutions/98873

If nothing works out, then final option would be to create a local repo of RHEL7.3 ISO image as stated by Mike to get this done.

Hi Sadashiva, after doing "subscription-manager release --set=7.3", the "yum update redhat-release-server" attempts to update to 7.4 unfortunately. I checked that the rhnplugin was already disabled. I am going to try the ISO 7.3 option.

After setting the release, did you clear the yum cache and rebuild the repos? If not, run 'yum clean all' after setting release and then run 'yum update redhat-release-server', i'm sure this time it would try to update to version 7.3..

It works perfect for me... check this out...

Ansible>rpm -q redhat-release-server
redhat-release-server-7.1-1.el7.x86_64

Ansible>subscription-manager release
Release: 7.3

Ansible>yum update redhat-release-server
Loaded plugins: subscription-manager
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package redhat-release-server.x86_64 0:7.1-1.el7 will be updated
---> Package redhat-release-server.x86_64 0:7.3-7.el7 will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

========================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                        Arch                            Version                               Repository                                   Size
========================================================================================================================================================================
Updating:
 redhat-release-server                          x86_64                          7.3-7.el7                             rhel-7-server-rpms                           28 k

Transaction Summary
Upgrade  1 Package

Total download size: 28 k
Is this ok [y/d/N]: n
Exiting on user command
Your transaction was saved, rerun it with:
 yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2017-09-22.14-50.OvXkRQ.yumtx

Hi Sadashiva, that works fine for me as well. Thanks very much for the help! It is nice and quite fast to do it online. Using ISO is also a good option but it is longer and more heavy. Thanks for both answers.

That is nice. I'm glad that I could help you.

yes, it worked for me 7.5 to 7.6 rhel, thanks

Great!!

I am using rhel7.2 and want to upgrade 7.4. My my server is not having internet. What could be the best possibility to upgrade rhel-7.2 to rhel-7.4?

Thanks in advance..

Hi Sarat,

Why do you want to upgrade to RHEL 7.4 and not to the current edition RHEL 7.5 ?
Download the DVD.iso and create a local repository from which you can upgrade. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi I wanto to update 7.0 to 7.7 is it possible ?

Hi Jamil,

Let us open a new discussion, for your question is different.

How to update from old to current minor release

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra