Convert RH Satellite from Disconnected to Connected?

Latest response

Due to the long time it takes to get updated ISO content, install it, and needing to patch our RHEL servers quickly, we've decided to switch from a Disconnected Red Hat Satellite to a Connected Red Hat Satellite.

With this being said, I have a few ideas on what we will need to do:

• Generate a new manifest

• Re-register the Satellite again to RHSM

• Re-register all clients to the RH Satellite

I might be missing other things too, however these are other questions that I have on this based on security and securely download content as well.

I'm not sure what daemon talks back to RHSM/CDN and I can't find anything in any RH Sat 6.1.10 documentation. However what is the name of the daemon?

Can we run this daemon as another user not root, in order to not have this connection go out of our network as something being ran by root?

Can we control when this daemon runs so it runs when we want it to run not something that automatically runs daily and then downloads the content.

Overall we want to control of when and how it downloads content, along with not running this at root, however we have to be able to grab content quicker then a Disconnected Satellite in order to keep our organization secure.

thanks

Responses