RHEL Server 7.1 not Getting Installed on HP Z440 in Secure Boot Mode

Latest response

I have the HP Z440 hardware which is a certified by RHEL for 7.x (ref: RHEL Website). I wanted to install the rhel_Server_7.1 in UEFI mode with secure boot enabled, but the installer gets HANGED indefinetely on penguins, after selecting option 1 from the two options displayed
1. Install RHEL Server 7.1
2. Test Media and Install RHEL 7.1

My BIOS settings are as follows:
* In Secure Boot Configuration, 'Disable Legacy Support and Enable Secure Boot'
* in Boot Options, 'Legacy mode' is 'disabled'

Also, In the second case with secure boot disabled, when in the BIOS, I am selecting 'Enable Legacy Support and Disable Secure Boot', the OS is getting installed but with larger fonts and only one screen resolution 800*400, available in the display.

Ultimately I want to install RHEL 7.1 with Secure Boot Enabled. Please help me with the same and these answers.

Q1. Is this problem belongs to RHEL 7.1 combined with the hardware Hp z440, or it is independent of that?
Q2. Why I am not able to install RHEL 7.1 with secure boot enabled?
Q3. why in legacy mode, the display is bad?

thanks,

Responses

If you are using Microsoft-only secure boot key it won't work. Please make sure your system allows Microsoft UEFI Certificate Authority.

Thanks for the reply. My Current BIOS configuration, with respect to keys is as follows, In UEFI Secure Boot Configuration --> MS UEFI CA KEY --> Enabled

With this, i believe my system allows MS UEFI CA. What else could be the issue?

Can you try option 2 or later version of RHEL?

If you are seeing penguins, then the kernel has already started and the Secure Boot is successfully passed. It sounds like a problem related to UEFI in general, ACPI or other hardware/driver incompatibility. I'd also recommend trying RHEL 7.2 or 7.3 instead of 7.1.

In legacy mode, the system will initially emulate a plain old VGA display driver initially in 80x25 character text mode. Until the actual GPU is successfully identified and the appropriate drivers loaded for it, the system is restricted to VESA standard SVGA display modes... only a limited number of those may be implemented, and a standard VESA SVGA mode definition may not exist for your actual screen resolution, so that's why you'll be getting 800x400 only.

In UEFI mode, the UEFI firmware includes display access protocols for both text and graphics with full display resolution, but only in unaccelerated frame-buffer mode... again, until the GPU is successfully identified and the appropriate drivers loaded.

Here is the Linux Support Matrix for HP workstations. Page 15 has information for Z440:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00060684.pdf

The graphics drivers section refers to footnote 2, which says:

footnote 2 - Get the latest drivers: "HP Installer Kit for Linux - HP Driver CD (or DVD) for Linux-distribution-name" ISO images from http://www.hp.com/support/z440. Under Download options, select Get drivers, software & firmware. HP Workstations can be ordered with a variety of localization options that may vary by platform. The default in-box graphics drivers (e.g., nouveau and radeon) may not always handle newer graphics cards correctly. In some cases, even OS installation must be done using a "basic mode" or by specifying a frame-buffer driver (e.g., "xdriver=fbdev").

So, try doing as it says: add the boot option "xdriver=fbdev" when selecting option 1 from the installer (you should be able to just type it in). It tells the installer: "don't try to find the accelerated driver for the GPU; use the firmware-provided unaccelerated frame buffer interface for now." The reason for the hang may be that the installer is trying to activate a GPU driver that is not quite new enough to successfully receive the hand-over of this particular GPU model from the UEFI firmware.

Once you get the core OS installed, you'll be able to install updated GPU drivers from the "HP Installer Kit for Linux" and then the full capabilities of the display should become available.

I have same computer aIso cant install 7.4 version