'Oh no! Something has gone wrong' screen after installing system updates

Latest response

After activating my RHEL v7.2 subscription on my new workstation, I received a long list of software updates. After installing and rebooting, I am now getting the "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please log out and try again." screen and am prompted to logout. If I boot from the GRUB2 boot screen, I get a selection of the following kernels:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation (3.10.0-327.28.3.el7.x86_64) 7.2 (Maipo)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation (3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64) 7.2 (Maipo)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation (0-rescue-177886d57bcb416880f0f88ac1ad334a) 7.2 (Maipo)
Recovery to Factory Installation, All Data Will Be Erase !!!

If I select the second kernel in the list, I am able to boot with no issues. Any other selection, and I end up with the same "Oh no! Something has gone wrong" screen and am prompted to log out. At log out, the screen goes black.

I'm new to Linux and not sure where to begin to repair the issue. All of the reading I've been doing suggests that it is a graphics driver issue with GNOME, but I can't be certain. Can anyone assist? Thanks in advance.

Responses

When booted into the working kernel, try removing the newer non-working kernel and reinstalling it.

Got to see this.. Gnome desktop failure on Vmware RHEL7 guest after package update

You would need to boot into runlevel 3 and then try re-installing the specified package as noted in the above article.

Thanks for the tip. I found a solution here: Kernel modesetting is failing for Radeon graphics after system update.

After installing and rebooting nvidia driver on Rhel 7.5 I am now getting the "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please log out and try again." screen and am prompted to logout.how can i solved it.give me a solution .

Hi Mohammed Sujan.. Even me too having same issue.. If you got any solution .. Please let me know

I upgrade openssh to 8.0p1 on Red hat 7.3, then this issue happend when open VNC. Then I downgrade openssh to original low version 6.6.1, it works ok. I think it is a openssh rpm bug.

Anyone landing here in this discussion, know that this specific discussion was originally started September 12 2016. I say this to mention that things that occur after 3 years might be somewhat different after 3 years. If it helps, great, if not, know that a 3 year old discussion might or might-not differ from current circumstances.

Regards

RJ