Using OpenStack Controller as Compute Node

Latest response

Hi,
Can OpenStack Controller node be used as compute node as well? I mean I have installed openstack using packstack and no configuration changes done. I want to deploy an instance of VM in the same server. Can any one suggest on the steps to be followed.
I am planning to use Red Hat OpenStack Platform as VIM for a NFV testing. Here I am using NFV MANO called Rift.Ware. It's installation is supposed to be done in the same server as Openstack controller. I

Responses

Yes, it is possible to run the compute (nova) on the controller, but there is still recommended to use separate nodes for nova.

Hi Zdenek, Usually this NFV MANO is installed in the same controller as openstack controller. So can you please confirm on below steps according to your knowledge. 1.) Install Base OS 2.) Install Virtualization packages 3.) Install VM with Linux OS 4.) Install Openstack Packstack 5.) Create OpenStack project, upload image to glance, deploy instance in the same host. (Please provide detailed steps here if you can. )

Hi. Yes, in the packstack setup, you configure where do you want to place the OpenStack services and you may choose to pout them on the same host. Looking at the steps you provided - do you try to run virtualized OpenStack? Otherwise you could deploy OpenStack directly on the node where you install the Base OS. BTW if you want to deploy OpenStack quickly just for testing, tak a look at DevStack.

do you try to run virtualized OpenStack? Actually no Zdenek. But If I install Openstack on baremetal server with Base OS, then how can I allocate/deploy another VM instance in the same host. Can I do that? 1.) Install Base OS 2.) Install Openstack Packstack 3.) Create OpenStack project, upload image to glance, deploy instance in the same host.
Like that? But then can I allocate resources through openstack for the VM within the same machine.

I run OpenStack on 5 machines, but I tested both OpenStack and DevStack on a single machine and it worked well. I would recommend this article by Red Hat describing the OpenStack single-machine deployment scenario.